BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Audaxes and sportives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Hilly sportives - Dragon Ride

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hilly sportives - Dragon Ride
    Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:26pm
Dear all, I'm wondering whether anyone has ever done a hilly sportive such as the Dragon Ride in the Brecons on a 'bent. I did it on Sunday 10th June and judging by the comments from fellow riders and the compere it seemed that I was a novelty. 
It is a taxing ride - I did the 223km/138mile route, which has over 10,000ft of climbing, although the downhills are wickedly good fun (GoPro footage has been popular).
My steed is an aluminium-framed Metaphysic, running 155mm cranks on a 28/38/50 triple to a 12-36 10spd cassette. The steepest climb (middle bit of Devils Elbow) became impossible for me to balance at the slow speed I was going up in lowest gear, but otherwise it was do-able.
If anyone knows whether it's been done before it'd be great to be put in touch with them and find out how they got on, including how to get up really steep hills quick enough to keep balanced.
If anyone wants to hook up to do it next year on 9th June 2019 then let me know, as I'm already booked in with family and friends on their DF bikes. I've suggested to the organisers (tongue-in-cheek) to have a recumbent section but at the moment there's only me in it I believe!
Looking forwards to having some feedback.
Maybe I'll even get around to entering one of your races....
Phil Wh View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Wh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 7:48pm
Did you do it this year. I've generally found Spirtives of interest have not allowed recumbents so have never actually entered one. How did you check the Dragon accepted recumbents?
lyhelM View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyhelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 3:10pm
Digging out old topics…

I’ll be riding the Granfondo next June - well I’ll try to ^^
Any other bentriders registered?

Edited by lyhelM - 22 February 2024 at 3:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic