BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Chain Guard for Fugin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chain Guard for Fugin
    Posted: 15 April 2018 at 6:57pm
Stuart couldn't find a chain ring guard for my Fugin to make it race legal. Anyone have any ideas or am I going to have to make one?

Roy
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2018 at 7:19pm
Roy - The best bet is to find a chainguard that will fit onto your crank spider like a third chainring, unless you're already using a triple or don't have removable chainrings. To find a suitable chainguard you need to know the spec of your outer chainring, specifically:

Then Google for 'xx BCD chainring'. Spa Cycles in Harrogate are a reliable source with a wide range of sizes.

Balor View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:22am
If you cannot find it online, you have an option have it 3D printed it now.
Not going to be cheap, though...
Gromit View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:32am
Halfords sell two different sizes of plastic chainring guard.
42-44T and 46-48T.  They're both £6.99.

Edited by Gromit - 16 April 2018 at 11:33am
ChrisH View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 3:55pm
If taking the DIY route, there's a small gallery of chainguard creations buried within the BHPC webpages

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Andrew S Andrew S wrote:

Roy - The best bet is to find a chainguard that will fit onto your crank spider like a third chainring, unless you're already using a triple or don't have removable chainrings. To find a suitable chainguard you need to know the spec of your outer chainring, specifically:

Then Google for 'xx BCD chainring'. Spa Cycles in Harrogate are a reliable source with a wide range of sizes.

Yes Andrew the problem is I am using a triple and there is no room between the crank and the top ring. Unless it is about half a millimetre thick. I'm really looking for something that will mount on the boom side.

Thanks.

Roy
Gromit View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

Yes Andrew the problem is I am using a triple and there is no room between the crank and the top ring. Unless it is about half a millimetre thick. I'm really looking for something that will mount on the boom side.

Thanks.

Roy

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Gromit Gromit wrote:

Thanks.

Roy

Yes Gromit, that looks like it will fit. I would have liked a carbon one but that will do the job.
Thanks.
Roy 
Gromit View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:17pm

Originally posted by Gromit Gromit wrote:

Yes Gromit, that looks like it will fit. I would have liked a carbon one but that will do the job.
Thanks.
Roy 

Smile  You're welcome.
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:28pm
Alternatively, there's the HPVelotechnik / Toxy style chainring guard: It's attached by a thin piece of metal that clamps between the bottom bracket and its shell, so ought to fit just about anything?

http://www.toxy-liegerad.de/Components-spares-accessories/Chain-drive/Chain-ring-cover::100244000.html

When finding one for my Baron, I tried borrowing the ICE version from my partner's trike, but there wasn't enough BB shell for it to clamp to, on account of the large-diameter boom. The HPVelotechnic one worked fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic