BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Ratcatcher - Broken mono front fork

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ratcatcher - Broken mono front fork
    Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:59pm
Dear Sir/Madam

I have just acquired a Ratcatcher that needs a little TLC to get it back up and running.  The front mono fork tube has fractured at the top lug underneath the steering column.  My thoughts are to either replace the whole tube and re-glue to the lugs top and bottom or second option which might be quicker/easier would be to weld the old tube to the lug.  What is the best option and where could I get a suitable aluminium tube that will do the job?

Second point, one of the rear wheel bearings, in the lug at the back of the bike is grinding and needs replacing I believe.  Does anyone know where to get them from?

Many thanks & Regards

Daniel Vinson
Daniel Vinson
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:19pm
Please don't weld it!
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 8:25pm
I'm not completely familiar with the design, but I guess it is aluminium tubes glued into cast aluminium lugs. A steerer tube is a very highly stressed component and welding aluminium will reduce its resistance to fatigue stresses. It may not even be a grade of aluminium that is suitable for welding. The heat of welding could also cause distortion and affect other glued joints.

I would strongly recommend contacting Mike Burrows and ask his advice: 01603 721 700

WRT to bearings, www.simplybearings.co.uk are good. Either measure the existing bearings or ask Mike.

Edited by GeoffBird - 26 March 2018 at 8:27pm
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic