BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Battle Mountain 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle Mountain 2017
    Posted: 30 August 2017 at 10:48am
Right, I'm off. Usual rubbish at the Automatic Diary. Toodle-pip!
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 12:44pm
looking forward to reading it Thumbs Up
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 5:49am
I have arrived!  Competitors currently known to be here:
  • Ellen van Vugt
  • Barbara Buatois
  • HP Team Delft/Amsterdam
  • Team Policumbent
  • John Jackson
Not sure whether Liverpool are here yet but there was a plaintive message from last-minute substitute rider Yasmin Tredell on Facebook last night. So if any of youse lot happen to be coming here from Las Vegas tomorrow, she could do with a lift.

Thought not...
====================

atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:54pm
Amazing that you made it after all your brushes with ...

deth

Looking forward to all your reports - you lucky chap for being there.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:08pm
Photos of little consequence from this morning here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4G2tdV - more to follow.  We still seem to be lacking the Japanese, the Australians and the Official Canadians but the latter are always late anyway.  More to follow later after the tech inspections.

Yasmin managed to get to Reno and should be able to get a lift from Danny or Jun, our chief timers.

Edited by legs_larry - 10 September 2017 at 10:09pm
====================

atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 7:12pm
Who was the Lassie photographed getting into Arion3 if Yasmin has not yet arrived?

Edited by atlas_shrugged - 11 September 2017 at 7:12pm
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:36pm
Yasmin had arrived, twas her and also her inside on it's side; http://automatic-diary.blogspot.co.uk/

Day 12 - keep up at the back of the class, and yes i do mean you Master Shrugged!
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 9:42pm
Mr Organisator Al Krause managed to contact Cal Poly's Professor Frank Someone just as he was driving past Reno and got him to divert, so Yasmin didn't have to hang around waiting for Jun Nogami and Danny Guthrie.  Anyway, it's now Monday here:

Clicky for Monday photos - will be updated withe evening pictures when we've had an evening.  Nearly all from the start coz that's where I ended up after driving the sweep car.  About 156 mph, since you ask.

FTD to Eta Prime/Calvin Moes (University of Toronto) at 68.32 mph - this with only a 2.5 mile run-up.  Only other bike over 60 was Andrea Gallo in Taurus with 65.45, Yasmin Tredell in ARION3 next up with 58.03.  Nearly 5 mph quicker than Ken Buckley Big smile  Though the wind did start to pick up after 9 am.

First day jitters got the better of not a few people with Toronto have a pretty torrid time.  Five starts in two bikes, 3 DNFs.  Iris Slappendel managed to deck VeloX 7 at both ends of her run.  The machine from Mexico's De La Salle Universidad b0rked its transmission very early in the run and new rider Shinsuke Kouzai fell with his first start attempt in Super Ketta Machine 162, restarted and then went off the road near the 1 mile marker, bloodying his nose and scarring the bike somewhat.  Even Barbara Buatois and Ellen van Vugt had a few wobbles at the start.

But we did get a new world record, with John Mumme cranking his unfaired handcycle to 27.6 mph with only a 600 metre run-up Clap

Lovely and warm this morning, no woolly jumpers needed and it should be Scorchio! this evening.  I'm going to have a snooze now coz I only got four hours last night because poxy slow Internets...

PS: I Heart this bike...

Shiny Thing make everything all better

====================

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 5:40am
Not much to add from this evening.  Only two bikes in the first heat; Ken Buckley got away OK in ARION 3 but blew the rear tyre halfway down the course when doing about 65 mph.  Not too much damage to the bike and none to the rider.  Bill Kong in Toronto's old warhorse Bluenose did 67.8 with non-legal wind and blew straight through catch at some ludicrous speed.  Not sure how they managed to stop him coz I was still up the road at Ken's incident.

We closed the road for the second heat but it started raining when I was still four miles from the start area.  Not heavily compared with what we could see over the mountains but enough to cause us to halt proceedings for the day.  At least we get an early night tonight.
====================

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 10:31pm
Rain threatened this morning but didn't materialise on the course itself so we got a full programme run off.  Still a few starting issues, notably from Barbara whose Varna camera back seemed to have developed an unnatural fondness for the right side ditch.  After six failed attempts we ran out of time.  Phenomenal save by Larry Lem diving under Macquarie Uni's MQ1 to bounce it upright when it looked like Charles Easton-Berry was going down - apparently the Italians have it on video so I'll keep my eyes peeled for the link.  And Andrea decked the Taurus while starting, though happily damage is barely noticeable.

The Super Ketta Machine 162 has an equally perverted love life, but for the left side of the road, as Shinsuke Kouzai went off in much the same place as yesterday, and the Mexican String-Driven Thing has also yet to complete a full run even over the short course.

FTD again went to Calvin Moes in Eta Prime, whose 75.96 mph was into an illegally-stiff headwind.  The wind calmed down for the final heat on the long course and Yasmin Tredell got the second-best speed of the morning with a fully-legal 66.66 mph in the repaired ARION 3.  Ken managed to keep it on the road for a confidence-building 60.69 and the Liverpool PSOs will now be spending the afternoon painting, sanding, polishing and praying to the Weather Goddess for better conditions.

John Mumme improved his 600/200 arm-powered record to 28.87 mph, but he's through for the week, I think because Real Life.

Photos from this morning's runs and the Show'n'Shine at the Civic Center are at here: clicky

Edited by legs_larry - 12 September 2017 at 10:32pm
====================

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic