BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Catrike 700 recumbent trike - Now SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:01pm
The Catrike 700 is thought as "no more extreme" than a Windcheetah or ICE VTX 
All should be considered "Sporting lightweights of the trike world" and designed for pure road tarmac or perhaps race track capable for weekend racing .
With a limited choice of tyres for this class of trike .
Unless you wish to risk or mess up the handling
by fitting "fat" and "comfort" and "puncture proof" products .
Couple of practical points ...........
None of these offer a quick fold so storage and transportation can be a concern 
Very important ......seat angle adjustment is nil on the Catrike 
rather limited on the Windcheetah ...
Only the ICE VTX gets full marks for providing instant seat rake /angle adjustment . 

Would BHPC members suggest its a good starter machine for someone who has never even sat in or ridden a recumbent and prepared to buy blind off a bit of paper ? Confused
D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:49pm
I'd certainly want to see it and sit on it first...

andygardeneruk View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andygardeneruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 12:55pm
hi. i didnt say it was more extreme than the windcheetah or ice vtx at all, just that it is at the extreme end, ie designed more for speed than comfort) which is true isn't it. all nice models im sure. and if can you get those at that price or lower secondhand, in same condition, id be interested in them as well. dont know prices of ice vtx, but the windcheetah is really expensive. i dont think you can say catrike700 might be an expensive mistake for a newb and then suggest buying a windcheetah !! lol

from what ive seen the catrike700 is priced extremely keenly compared with other similar 'racing trikes' :)

as to folding. no interest in that feature. inevitably adds weight and complication. seat angle adjustment. nope, same reason. adds complication. i WANT it reclined at the most reclined angle as possible, because, hey its a low racer recumbent!! its designed to have best aerodynamics as possible so why would you want to dilute that. as its also said to be v comfortable, i see no issue with it :) besides you only alter a normal bike seat to get the correct pedel stroke. but you are completely stuck with the riding position. and everyone still buys normal bikes!

skinny tyres is not an issue as its for road use only. its not going to be any more uncomfortable than a road bike and millions ride them everyday.

basically what i want is the trike recumbent version of a good road bike. im not interested in any other type. im a crazy guy and id buy the most extreme low racer carbon trike if i could afford one lol.

i really dont understand your problem with a newb buying a catrike 700. i could always sell it again. but its a moot point now i guess. cheers

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:24pm
Because no one wants to see you put off recumbents because you bought the wrong trike, and one with an adjustable seat angle will not suit everyone, especially as it is reputed to have a very stiff unforgiving frame. If you only intend to race it on tracks then buying without trying probably does not matter.

Roy
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 5:28pm
I've been thinking about what you said you want from a trike and noticed that you have not said why you want a trike rather than a (recumbent) bike. When people talk about "fast" trikes they mean fast for a trike. With like for like riders all fast trikes are slower than fast bikes. They have more rolling resistance are heavier and less aerodynamic. They have other advantages like being able to stay clipped, in coping with adverse terrain and weather conditions safely. Speed is not a reason to choose a trike though. They only become fast if you add a full fairing, but then we get away from your desire for a simple design.

Look at the average speeds in the race results to get an idea of how much faster the bikes are.

For my first recumbent trial I rode a Kingcycle and a Trice and the sheer speed advantage sold me on the Kingcycle. One thing you will not have realised is that it's far more difficult to avoid potholes and branches on a trike than a bike. I ride a trike three days a week so I'm well aware of the downsides of trikes despite the fun side of them. I have a hardshell seat on mine and that allows a much better power transfer than the mesh one it came with.

My average speed in London on the Kingcycle was around 25 mph and almost every day I would hit 50 mph. descending from Crystal Palace. For your money you could get a new lowracer recumbent bike which might suit you better given that you seem to prioritise speed.

I'd recommend a visit to Kevin (D tek) or Bikefix or a BHPC race meeting to get a balanced view of what will fit your requirements best.

All the best.

Roy
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andygardeneruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 7:53pm
hi. i really dont understand you guys and your anti catrike 700 crusade. lol

roy, i do like the raptobike low racer. looks fun but also very expensive, about £1500 new. still prefer fast (ish) trikes. the best are not as fast as recumbent bikes, but i like the go cart handling and that they are absolutely distinct from two wheelers. i definitely recognize its not all about speed, having fun is what its all about, eh. maybe paul will decide to sell in a few months, or i can find another similar trike, locally, that i can test ride first in case its rubbish..... i dont want to get into trouble with my mum for spending all my pocket money on a tricycle :)

cheers
D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 11:11pm
Your quote "but the windcheetah is really expensive" confirms you have little understanding or knowledge of recumbents . As a novice this is entirely understandable .
Hence BHPC and other other recumbent forums members are always willing and able to offer advice .
But only if you are prepared to listen and digest the information .
The key to this is simple .....ride ride ride a variety of machines
and discover what suits you at the end of the day .
Armchair riding in front of a computer screen is simply doomed 
 Windcheetah's have been around for more than thirty years .
So price points for pre-owned models can suit all pockets and tastes .
Oh and I currently have 7 examples in stock from as new with zero miles
or high miles to suit all £££££££ pockets Wink
Plus six models of Catrikes and the full lineup of ICE trikes (including the VTX with carbon bling) 
A couple of Challenge trikes and a rather nice mint condition Greenspeed with RH14 
Plus lots lots more including a FWD Russian built trike (I call it the MIG) 
Finally .......never ridden on the road ....complete time warp ( but really cheap at  less than £600) and very very laid back (might well appeal to some folks ) ...its from New Zealand ????
Can you guess what it is ..........................Yep its a HOTMOVER Trike Clap
Has anyone in the UK ridden one ???

Hope that helps and will encourage you to go recumbent riding soonest .

Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andygardeneruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 8:32am
windcheetah are great, but from what ive seen, a 2015 model is going to cost more than a catrike 700 of same year, by some margin as well :)

ice vtx sure looks nice. bet its pricey tho.

i still think my initial conclusion was correct. catrike 700 is best bang for the buck lol

need some prices to change my opinion.

:)
D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 10:07am
Facts or fiction or pure guess work Wink
To the best of my knowledge (what would I know !) 
Only 3 or 4 Windcheetahs have been offered for sale since 2015
and that does not mean a confirmed sale all via BHPC small ads .
Ebay UK have listed just 7 Windcheetahs during that period
and that probably includes some of the above 
Other sources "for sale" Velovision + CTC + Gumtree+ YACF + Cyclechat +Pre Loved 
Reveal 4 offered since Jan 2015 .
Bentrider online ....I don't have any stats ...
But no one is going to re-import from the other side of the Atlantic back to the UK?
You cannot find a "Parkers+ What Car + Glass's recumbent price guide" in WH Smiths .
So using the ghost buster line ...."Who you going to call " Tongue
Actually I would suggest you make the effort to  meet and speak to BHPC members for sensible and friendly advice and a jolly good day out .
If you pop along to a race meeting you might meet Mike Burrows the designer 
or Karl S the current owner and builder of the Windcheetah marque .

Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andygardeneruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 12:06pm
i dont think id be interested in the windcheetah even though its the classic. just too rare and expensive to bother with. the ice vtx and greenspeed aero look more mainstream, like the catrike, but unless i see a price, i assume they are too pricey.

the obvious rarity of these things, from what you are saying yourself, together with your reluctance to give any actual prices, just vindicates my decision to buy pauls catrike700.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic