BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2017 Round 9: DERBY VELODROME, Sat 19th August

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 9:54am
Hi folks
thanks once again for a great weekend of racing, and to the organisers for a stering job as usual it had all the right ingreediants fun, laughter, pain, fear, challenges, and for me cake what more could you ask for, I hope those that were injured are ok and live to race another day and the unfortunate Marek who had a car mishap on the way to Darley got home safely and will hopefull we may see him at another race, unfortunatly I did chickened out of the second race at Darley in favour of a free barbacue and cake ( no brainer realy ) still a great weekend, nice to meet some new faces too, here are some photo's mainly of Derby velodrome as at darley we all raced together again, there are some great photo's on the Facebook page by Martin Byrne at Darley so check them out and thanks for sharing Martin, as most of mine are at the velodrome and those pesky fast racers do what they say on the tin and go fast most of the photo's are blurred as my shaky hands are not that steady there are two short vids to give you an idea of the speed they were going,
cheer.
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
david.lhostis View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david.lhostis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 5:59pm
Looking at the electronic timing and from what i remember of the fast race 2, i did the same number of laps as mike. My lap 34 cannot have lasted 1:19, which is the same as four laps. That does not change the final classification as mike beats me by a few seconds...
http://ccgi.lhostis.plus.com/sport.php Optima baron XLow + M5 Sandwich fairing
david.lhostis View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david.lhostis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 6:19pm
Also, isn't there one lap missing for everybody in all races? For example,jochen has 58 laps in 20:30 in the timing webpage, but only 57 in 20:30 here
http://ccgi.lhostis.plus.com/sport.php Optima baron XLow + M5 Sandwich fairing
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by david.lhostis david.lhostis wrote:

Looking at the electronic timing and from what i remember of the fast race 2, i did the same number of laps as mike. My lap 34 cannot have lasted 1:19, which is the same as four laps.
David - You're quite right - well spotted. You are missing three laps which have now been added in the updated results.

Also, isn't there one lap missing for everybody in all races? For example,jochen has 58 laps in 20:30 in the timing webpage, but only 57 in 20:30 here
The 'lap info' display can be confusing - by default it shows only every third lap, so the apparent total is rounded down to the nearest multiple of three. To see the actual lap count you need to select 'Show Every Lap'.

Finally, Simon Watson's e-results have been recovered from the digital dustbin. For some reason Simon's tags are numbered '87' although he claims to be number '55'.

Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 8:59pm
The final classified results for Derby are now available on the website together with the post-Derby Championship Tables.

Speeds may be slightly different from those in the provisional results: I've taken the lap length to be 250m, which is the length of the black (lowest) line on the track.
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2017 at 9:06pm

David - once again you are quite right, and my previous answer was quite wrong. A bug in the race software caused everyone at Derby to have one lap less than they should have. The results on the website have now been fixed:
www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events17/09derby/derby-17.html
Of course it doesn't affect any of the positions but everyone's speeds are slightly increased.

Several people have queried that the speeds in the results seem lower than they thought. There are two reasons for this:
  1. The speeds are based on a lap length of 250m, which is the distance around the black line at the bottom of the track. Most people rode around the track higher up, resulting in longer laps. The blue line, for example, is 265m long or 6% greater than the nominal distance. So if you stuck to the blue line throughout the race your actual speed would be 6% higher than the results say.

2. The race was timed from when the coach blew his whistle, not when you crossed the start line. If you were on the other side of the track when the whistle blew then your first 'lap' could easily be 10 seconds or more longer than normal, which reduces your average speed for the whole race.
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 7:17am
the coach blew a whistle to start the race? i couldn't hear that, i just started going faster when i saw other people up on the track and looked as if they were racing.

If we go again can we have a start flag please, I can "hear" that with my eyes.
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 9:41am
Clap That's a very good point, Mr P.

The acoustic environment at Derby wasn't helpful even to those with perfect hearing. The coach's whistle was indistinguishable from those used (very frequently) by the referees on the infield pitches and the solid glass barrier between track and trackside eliminated almost all other communication.

Edited by Andrew S - 25 August 2017 at 9:42am
Ken View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 4:46pm
Thanks for a fantastic day of riding and racing at the velodrome, everyone. It was an amazing opportunity to try the handbike on the track. I'm looking forward to the next one as well.

It was great to see so much enthusiasm and some brilliant bikes to boot. Hopefully I'll be able to catchup with you at more events.

I hope that Gary is alright, I feel a bit guilty have been the obstruction that created a cascade of events, but I have high praise for your quick thinking & fast dodging.

I've also got my on-bike videos that I'll will be trying to somewhere accessible. If there's anyone who would like their face obscured, please let me know and I'll try to sort that. I don't think it'll be much of an issue given the the videos are all the on-track riding and nearly everyone was passing me, or in front!

Regarding the whistles... I never heard the start or the end either. Flags would be great.

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2017 at 11:07am
Many thanks for coming along Ken! It was great to see the handcycles on the velodrome and most people were amazed at how well you were going! 
You'll be more than welcome at any of our events. 
Looking forward to seeing the video!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic