BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2017 Round 2 : Redbridge Sunday 30th April

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Round 2 : Redbridge Sunday 30th April
    Posted: 15 April 2017 at 3:10pm
less than 1 and 1/14th fortnights until the second race of the season!

This is the place for comments and discussions about Round2 of the 2017 Championship at Redbridge Cycle Centre on Sunday 30th April.

http://www.vision-rcl.org.uk/redbridgetrack.html

We'll be on the lower circuit (the 1.15 Km track on the link above), so no hills!!!

Can we please have some volunteers to help organise??

ChrisH View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:30pm
So far, he deluge of volunteers to help race organise at Redbridge has been less Biblical than I'd hoped.

Can someone(s) please step forward and give a helping hand.

I already have my name down to organise at Nelson, but happy to help/guide people through the process for Redbridge (if you haven't organised before).

Organisers get to choose the race formats (that best suit their legs/lungs/bike/mood etc).
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:30pm
Please note that the timing system will not be in use at Redbridge as there is no mains power or vehicle access anywhere near the bottom track. Hence we shall be relying on stopwatches again for the results with video cams as backup.

Please be prepared to time someone when you are not racing, and if you are racing then any corroborative evidence (cycle comp, GPS, ill-informed guesswork) may well be helpful to the Organisers.
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 8:23am
Pssssst.... Without organisers racing can't happen.... Any takers?

ShawnB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShawnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:37am
Jaycee and I can play organisers for this one. It's the first time organising for both of us - Chris could you help us locate the Organising instructions you put together and help guide us through the process? We'd like to race as well as organise, Jaycee racing in the slower, me in the fast - you think that'll work?
Ride on!
ChrisH View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:52am
Brilliant!!

Here is some basic info on what needs doing:-

1. some basic instructions on race organisation can be found in the "race organisers" section (and the "sign-on software" section of the "downloads" dropdown menu on the BHPC webpage. worth reading to get an idea of what is involved. Some of it is out of date and some of it you wont need to do. These are listed below:-

(i)           I sort out updating the members list in the race software (and will load the sign-on software file to be used onto the bhpc laptop before next Sunday).

(ii) rather than print out the sign on sheets with all members names (and bikes) on we just have a blank sign on sheet for them to write in their own details and sign. There are copies of these in the race organisers kit that I'll bring along. (in fact, just ignore everything in the pre-race section of the sign-on software menu).

(iii) no need to pick up any keys. the venue opens early am (long before we get there)

2. The only other thing worth doing over the next few days is to have a play with the sign-on software following the instructions online. It is all self contained in a single excel file. I'll PM  a copy for you to have a play with. Best way to get used to it is to create a mock race with 2 fast and 2 slow races, maybe sign up four people (2 per race) and go through the motions, make up some finish times (ensuring that your own bike is the fastest of course!!!!) and create a results sheet. If you mess it up just start again.

That's about it for now.

On the day you'll definitely get your own races in. Amongst whoever turns up there will be plenty of willing helpers that can be called upon to do many of the little odd jobs

I'll be there to show you the ropes and explain all the other stuff. The main flurry of activity as organiser is at the front end (sign-on, assigning folks to races, letting people know, last minute modifications if craters, dead sheep etc are found littering the track). Beyond that its just herding everyone on the track and shouting go at the beginning of each race, and recording the finish order/times at the end of the races.

Any questions, just ping me an email

thanks

chris

atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 4:12pm
Shawn

You and Jaycee are heroes. Thanks very much.

Netty and I are coming along so if you need any help. Last year Jaycees video saved the day so a camera as a backup is very helpful.

HeatherF View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HeatherF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:05pm
Thank you to Shawn and Jaycee. You'll be brilliant.

It is worth noting that others can help with organising even if they don't want to organise the whole thing e.g. you need someone to wave the flag and ring the bell, someone to shout out numbers as people cross the line and someone to write them down.

Can I just ask that when people sign the sign-on sheets they put in the last column the amount they have paid (7 or 10) or if they have paid annually (A) or are a Junior (J). It just helps me when I reconcile the money. 

Andrew will bring the cash tin and a float with him (I'm not coming this time) and in the cash tin will be a list of those who have paid annually, in case anyone has forgotten! Please could you make sure you give the cash tin and the sign-on sheets to Andrew at the end of the day.

As Andrew has said, there won't be a timing system (lack of power at this track) but there will be two cameras recording the race as back up.

Have fun!

Heather
ShawnB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShawnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:34pm
Without further ado...

Race Format at Redbridge

Registration/Sign-on start 10am... and will CLOSE at 11:00AM.

The field will be split into two... we'll need plenty of willing helpers to count laps and operate stopwatches as we won't be using the whizzy new timing system!

Points will be awarded equally for clockwise and anticlockwise races.

11:30am: "Slow" race - 30 minutes + 1 lap Anti-Clockwise

12:15pm: "Fast" race - 30 minutes + 1 lap Anti-Clockwise

1:30pm: "Slow" race - 30 minutes + 1 lap Clockwise

2:15pm: "Fast" race - 30 minutes + 1 lap Clockwise

At least that's the plan... As Jaycee and I will be organisating for the first time, your patience as we get the hang of things, and some flexibility on timing if needed, will be appreciated.
Ride on!
Max Id View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Id Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:33pm
Guys, I would like to participate for the first time, I've got Challenge Chamsin 26". Can I still participate, or I need a special racing machine? Also, I don't have a bash guard yet, just read it is mandatory, but this week don't have time to arrange, unfortunately.
Should I register upfront, or it is possible to show up on time and everything will be sorted out?

Thanks!

Edited by Max Id - 25 April 2017 at 12:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic