BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

HPV Speed Record Attempt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rob@ULVTeam View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob@ULVTeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HPV Speed Record Attempt
    Posted: 03 June 2016 at 1:18pm
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. We did test at Bruntingthorpe last year but the surface was a bit too bumpy and it was quite expensive. It would be really helpful to have some places near Liverpool too.

I'll try and let you know how we get on.

Rob McKenzie - Team leader - ULV Team
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:53am
They were testing at Bruntingthorpe last year... Is that not available?

legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Karl Karl wrote:

A slightly side comment, I'm curious to know if ARION 1 could be modified into a racer, I know they wont let us but imagine if we could pull a few additional fairness from the mold.

Ah well back to dreaming of a faster machine :-)

(Ponders the prospect of a couple of ARION1 clones jostling for position at $HAIRPIN with the sort of relish normally reserved for watching Zeppelins mating)

Good luck to the Liverpooligans - their performance last year was very impressive for a first attempt so they've got a fair amount to live up to.  Yes, I'm going.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:14am
Email from father in law who used to fly light aircraft and so knows most of the airfields in the NW fairly well:

Hi Russ,
I can think of two possibilities close to Liverpool.

1) Hawarden, this is part of the Airbus Industries Plant near Chester, it is privately owned by Airbus, not much used and has a long 2 km flat runway. CH4 0GZ

2) The second is Woodvale nr Formby, this is an RAF airfield used by University Air Squardrons.  Liverpool UAS is based there so that may be a way in.  The runway is flat and about 1.5 km long.  It is no longer shown in the Airfield Information Publication but I'm pretty sure it is still in use. L37 7AD

Most of the others locally have been mentioned by others and are in regular use.  If they have published opening hours they have got to be open to aircraft.  Samlesbury hasn't been used for a long time now and I don't know the state of the runway.  Woodford (south Manchester) would have been good, it had a 2.6 km long runway,  but it has closed and I'm pretty sure part of it is now a building site.

Hope this helps
Best Wishes
Peter

Edit: I've just spoken to team leader Robert Mckenzie and let him know all of the above - he was very grateful. Good luck to the team again for this year. He said they were all doing final year exams at the moment then working on this full time until they go out to Nevada.

Edited by russellbridge - 27 May 2016 at 11:29am
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:06pm
Spookily I was thinking a very similar thought earlier today. Jigsaw. Perspex screen. Landing wheels. And I recon you'd fit in it Karl!
Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:33pm
A slightly side comment, I'm curious to know if ARION 1 could be modified into a racer, I know they wont let us but imagine if we could pull a few additional fairness from the mold.

Ah well back to dreaming of a faster machine :-)
Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:30pm
Blackpool Airport after hours?
BAE Systems Warton, Warton Aerodrome, Warton, Preston PR4 1AX
BAE Samlesbury Aerodrome, Building S609, Myerscough Smithy Rd, Balderstone, Blackburn BB2 7LF

Just thinking these are a little closer to L'pool
Or has anyone got a bypass being built near them? 

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:08pm
I think that the best thing we could do to help would be to find a venue for them to test over summer (near the end of the article) - anyone got any ideas?
- the straight at Darley Moor DE6 2DQ
- aintree motor racing circuit looks like its got a long-ish straight (and close to Liverpool uni) L9 5AB
- three sisters motor racing - curved 'straight' but not flat WN4 8DD
- Leyland vehicles used to have a test track but i think it's in disrepair now PR26 7TB
Russ

Edited by russellbridge - 26 May 2016 at 6:33pm
Flag View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:37pm
Engineering students at the School of Engineering, University of Liverpool aim to break the human-powered land speed world record with their velocipede, ARION2 (from the IMechE);

http://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/record-breaking-engineers-bid-to-human-powered-land-speed-record?hq_e=el&hq_m=1034043&hq_l=14&hq_v=6b6577d545
In the Venn diagram of cycling, 'bents are in the combined area of 'comfort' and 'speed'.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic