BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Strava Flyby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strava Flyby
    Posted: 23 May 2016 at 10:47am
Strava Flyby feature

The Strava flyby feature seems like a very good way of viewing races, (and resolving quibbles afterwards). Here's an example of a race where 5 of us in the race uploaded our gps log to Strava afterwards: http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#577227413?c=gcqv2k1p&z=G&t=1NE675&a=lcpnItsHaSKqz20ic_pgIr8ojyI

It could maybe even work as a race timing system (not to tread on Andrews toes), but I can't work out a way of doing this other than making gps ownership/strava membership a requirement of BHPC membership.

How to:
- Sign up to Strava. It's free, no need to sign up to the premium service. It's very well set up, and doesn't send you any spam. Upload a profile photo.
- Acquire a gps device such as any recent smartphone, tomtom watch, garmin, go-pro camera etc. Set it to record just before the race starts, stop it on the warm down lap.
- Upload to Strava website - if you've got a smartphone it'll do it automatically, a watch/garmin etc will need plugging into an internet connected laptop (ie I do mine when I get home after the races)
- Strava will automatically group together people that have ridden the same course at the same time (Strava gives the 'group activity' a number)
- When you view your activity on the Strava website, there's a button just under the ride title that says 'STRAVA LABS - View Flybys' - click it and it automatically takes you to the Flyby page for the group activity where you can see everyone racing side by side.  Press play (top right) to see the race at 60x speed.
- You can share the weblink for the Strava Flyby and anyone can view it, whether they're signed up to Strava or not.

Or if you're out riding on your own, you can 'make friends' with other riders that you pass, although this is creeping into stalker territory if you ask me... 

Edited by russellbridge - 23 May 2016 at 10:48am
Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 1:38pm
Cheers,

I for one will be doing the above, if nothing else its interesting to see just how fast the 'fast guys' really are.

Interesting that you can see other peoples Strava's when you are riding.. very spooky.
On that note, remember you can anonymise your home address or where you store your bikes on Strava as there has been reports of targeted shed and garage break ins to steal bikes... Its extremely rare but worth mentioning. 

Karl
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:37pm
Strava, eh? This has just popped up in Another Place:

Quote Auntie Helen:
Velomobile owners all just got this message from Strava

Quote Travis Robison: Hello, I'm from Strava Support. Please note that any activity performed while using a velomobile should use the activity type "Workout" or be made private and can not be marked as a standard bike ride according to our policy and outlined in our article, which is linked to below. This policy is in effect to protect the integrity and fairness of our segment leaderboards. https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919507-Uploading-E-bike-motor-assisted-or-non-conventional-bike-data-to-Strava-Guidelines Any activity that is marked as a ride, but performed in a velomobile is subject to being flagged. Continued violation of the above mentioned policy may lead to the termination of a Strava account. We appreciate your cooperation in advance. Please submit a support ticket if you have any questions about this policy. In the future, we do hope to add an activity type for velomobiles although we currently have no plans to do so. Please feel free to add your votes and thoughts on that feature request to the forum linked to below. https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/208837707-Support-Aero-Velomobiles-or-Rocket-bikes-on-Strava

To say we are annoyed is an understatement. So we can't use lots of the features because they refuse to make us an activity type.

Of course there's nothing to stop you calling your velomobile a "Purple People Eater" or "Bastard Desert Storm"
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 3:37pm
Thumbs Up

Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 3:52pm
But drafting a lorry down the dual carriageway is perfectly acceptable... go figure!

Loads of segments around me in the North West are obviously motor paced. 

K

LeeW View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:50pm
There is currently a big discussion on the "velomobile" facebook group about Strava and velomobiles. It seems like Strava do not currently like velomobiles, because they are "unfair", however they consider rides done on closed roads as part of an invite only event, such as the TDF to be fair game....
Current fleet: Milan SL MK2 #027, Fujin SL II, Beany!

LeeW View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by legs_larry legs_larry wrote:

Of course there's nothing to stop you calling your velomobile a "Purple People Eater" or "Bastard Desert Storm"

I call mine "Lumpy" :)
I am currently taking the "stealth" approach, I don't openly show what bike I use on Strava, and my profile picture is of me on my Fujin SL II, not "Lumpy" :)
Current fleet: Milan SL MK2 #027, Fujin SL II, Beany!

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 8:59pm
I called the Quest "Orange Blossom Special" on Strava (one of my customers is a bit of a Johnny Cash fan and came up with that... Big smile ).
But mostly I just don't bother posting rides in it on Strava as it's not worth the hassle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic