BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Audaxes and sportives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Paris-Brest-Paris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 9:19pm
Externally very similar, internals are quite different, I will bring it to race meeting and let you crawl all over it.
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 9:30pm
Will do. Looks lovely in orange.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Yanto Yanto wrote:

Well, why not?

Maybe. Hopefully I'll ride some qualifiers and see how things go. I would do me good to get focused this year. And I need to stay away form the beer shop. Bad habits have been formed.

I've not ridden a bent since 2008, after I rode a home build down to Spain [best thing I ever did] and I always vowed that if I ever did PBP again after doing it in 2007 on recumbent, and 2011 on a DF then I'd revert back to the Dark Side.

So, I've pulled the bare frame from the loft [I really like the bike, but boy it weighs a sack or two], installed some basic bits, stuck it on the turbo, turned the pedals a few times. And crikey, I've got some serious work to do before now and then!

I also have high hopes of building a carbon version before then, but time passes quickly. I have all the stuff ready, but I'd do well just to concentrate on this current bike and get some fitness going first and foremost.

Time is moving on, and I won't have time for loads of miles, so it's high intensity all the way for me this time :-)

Might even wear my BHPC shirt I bought in 2006[?]..that I've never worn!
Hopefully will try and get to Hillingdon too this year too.

So...we'll see. Smile

Edited by garryb59 - 20 February 2015 at 12:03am
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 8:01am
Best of luck, have you any photo's of the bike?

I'd be interested in your PBP experiences, if you wish to share can you PM me your email address and i'll contact you.

Cheers
garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 8:59pm

Best of luck, have you any photo's of the bike?

This was it in 2008
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vindaloo77/100_1222b.jpg
just after I'd finished it. Drop of paint came a bit later.
If I don't get the carbon version finished then I'll set about putting this thing to task!

I'd be interested in your PBP experiences, if you wish to share can you PM me your email address and i'll contact you.
Cheers

Sure, will drop you a line.
But I'll tell you now - you're a damn site quicker than me! Smile I'm a full valve participant. Full 90hr merchant.
I don't know much about the velo world but those riders put in some serious times in both 2007 and 2011. Really amazing. Considering how much they weigh and PBP is not exactly flat.
One thing I love about PBP is all the different bikes and nationalities. You'll have a lot of fun.

Edited by garryb59 - 20 February 2015 at 9:01pm
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 9:03pm
Yes Ymte who makes the DF did it in 2007 unsupported in under 55hrs, he's doing it this year in one his machines, a DFXL which is a lot faster than the one he did it in last time.

garryb59 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garryb59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2015 at 10:17pm

Yes Ymte who makes the DF did it in 2007 unsupported in under 55hrs, he's doing it this year in one his machines, a DFXL which is a lot faster than the one he did it in last time.

Oh right!
My advice would be to stick on his wheel/shell and don't let him out of your site Smile
I remember before 2007 somebody so aptly describing PBP as a 'wheel suckers paradise'.
It is so true. All kinds of stuff goes on, especially at the beginning.

I remember Ymte doing 55hrs. He was with Hans Wessels I seem to remember.
Edit: actually, we do them an injustice - I'm pretty sure it was 53hrs!

For me, the challenge is can I still do it fours years on? A reason and a goal to get some kind of fitness going.

Some would disagree, and this is not to be critical, but from my own personal experience, don't hold too many expectations about the route itself - it's nothing special. Nothing bad about it, but nothing spectacular either. You will have done just as interesting qualifying rides in the UK to get there. Rather, it's all about the event as a whole and the history of it that makes it what it is.

That's a beautifully crafted Velo you have there. Work of art.

Edit: On the topic of Hans Wessels, I've just been searching on BROL for a quote I read ages ago allegedly by him. It deserves repetition:

"Stop worrying about bike weights and so on. Most important aspect of a PBP bike is it being comfortable. You will ride on it for a long, long time. Your daily commute bike might be a very good PBP bike. You ride a lot on it, it is dependable and you know the bike by heart."

Edited by garryb59 - 20 February 2015 at 10:44pm
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2015 at 5:23pm
I had a brief chat with Hans Wessels at the start in 2007. He said he was "going for a time" but then, pointing at his glasses, added "if it rains it will be difficult".

It rained.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2015 at 5:36pm
LOL

Ymte was non-committal about going for a time this year.

I think he will, he mentioned the LEL race where he was a long way ahead until he had a puncture, he said he was running a too smaller inner-tube for the tyre and it went BANG!!!!

The grin said "i'm not making that mistake again".

He also said that doing a very fast time unsupported is very difficult, I actually think that 53hrs unsupported is exceedingly quick!

I'm putting my name against a 90hr start time, no pressure, enjoy the ride and go fast if i feel capable. 

Warekiwi View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warekiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 9:10pm
You will be in good company as far as velomobiles go-- two of my Eurotour friends from Denmark plan on coming south for it. One in a Milan SL and the other in a Strada. From reading the French velomobile forums I think there will be quite a few others as well- unlike your experience of the LEL. All the best with your preparation and we will all look forward to hearing about the experience!
QuattroVelo #13 (2016)now eQV!
Snoek#18 Too tight!
Brompton P6- for shoppping!
Vitus Escarpe eMTB for off-road fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic