BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Guy Martin/Jason Miles 12/24 record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 11:45am
They pile 20kg of water into the back of the machine to make it go down hill faster(?) but fail to realise it will make it handle like a Porsche (Engine in the back)

As a friend who has had several Porsche's once commented, its like trying to throw a hammer round a bend the wrong way.. it will always want to switch ends and the heavy bit go first.
Porsche finally overcome this effect with a large computer and sensing when it all got out of hand an applying the brakes to correct corner of the car. 
Got to admire Ferdinand Porsche "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself"
Took a further 20years for the invention of the transistor to sort the handling of his car out.. thats what I call commitment 

On the initial tests Guys soap box was tail happy, adding more weight is the last thing it needed IMHO

Ah well, its all good Telly and makes a good story :-)

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 12:49pm
Throwing a dart the wrong way round springs to mind...

I didn't have a lot of confidence in the young ladies that were designing/building the machine to be honest...
The water bottles didn't even look to be secured, so I assume they were probably moving about...

Great television though and Guy Martin was brilliant as always...

Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 1:07pm
I concur the young ladies left a little to be desired.

I did get told to 'shut up' by Mrs S for the running commentary I was giving on what they should be doing.. but in their defence its easier to criticise after the even.. still a good effort.

Only trouble is I now have a strong desire for a 3D milling machine and all the pretty machine tools at EPM, to build a composite wonder machine.

Dear Santa
Please can I have an autoclave for Christmas.. I've been a good boy I think.
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 1:26pm
To be fair, the machine they designed looked very similar to the 'karties' that Lee Wakefield races with - I'm surprised they weren't involved in the programme actually. They certainly did a better job than the hovercraft designer the week before! We must remember that engineers as talented as the likes of Miles Kingsbury are quite unusual.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 1:45pm
Engineer....

The knack..
Watch this you'll love it.

Speaking of the hover craft... HPV water record?? now theres going out on a limb to make a world beater, think of all the fun you can have with hydrofoils.

Edited by Karl - 18 November 2014 at 1:47pm
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 2:29pm
I had That Man Burrows on the phone last night wondering why they didn't use better tyres than Kojaks...
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 2:37pm
Tyres is another point.. why did they only run 70psi??

You'll not get the shot by a sniper sound effect when you get a blow out at 70psi... just fap pss fap pss.
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 4:09pm
There is already a record for a human powered hydrofoil - about 30 km/h IIRC. They were doing 85 mph around corners - not sure I'd want to do that on Ultremos at 120 psi..

Your link don't work for me Karl.

Edited by GeoffBird - 18 November 2014 at 4:11pm
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
Neil F View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neil F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 10:55am
Geoff try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vHhgh6oM0

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 11:13am
Thats funny :)
"Can't he live a normal life?"
"No, he'll be an engineer..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic