BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Guy Martin/Jason Miles 12/24 record

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guy Martin/Jason Miles 12/24 record
    Posted: 29 October 2014 at 12:22am
I hope some of you saw Speed with Guy Martin on the 23rd. I thought it was really good TV, even if it was somewhat The Burrows Show. I was invited to be an observer by the WHPVA and ended up gathering the observer team and doing the report, apart from the detailed numbers, for which I am much indepted to Kevin Jenkins.
I have been trying to see if I can get approval of the record from other bodies. The WHPVA routinely accepts IHPVA records. When I asked Bill Gaines at the IHPVA, he told me I should have informed him first. The UMCA https://www.ultracycling.com/, had the same policy, but were very helpful. If we had informed them, and observed their rules, which I have yet to review, they would have accepted the record.
I spoke to gNick tonight. He tells me our report was the best they have seen. Thanks everyone.

Edited by JDub - 29 October 2014 at 12:28am
jdub... Got the T-shirt
http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/Protobikes/library
http://protobikes.org.uk/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150386999@N02/

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 8:21am
Many thanks Jonathan...
It was the best ever exposure for HPVs on mainstream TV as far as I can remember....

For anybody that missed it the show is now available online on 4OD...
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/speed-with-guy-martin/4od

I'm not at all surprised the report is the best they have seen.

I thought you did a great job before, during and after the Goodwood weekend!

Many thanks to the other BHPC volunteers (Andy Forey, Neil Fleming and Kevin Jenkins) of course...

Response to the show has been very positive - The only exception to that has been a couple of people in the US (mainly Thom Ollinger) who were sneering at us on Facebook before the show even went out... The main thing that came across from their whining was jealousy at the resources that were made available for the attempt.

I really wouldn't worry about the IHPVA - being recognised by them wouldn't add any value to the record as far as I'm concerned!!

Having it recognised by Ultra Cycling would be cool though I think...

BHPC didn't actually get a mention on the show but hopefully general interest in HPVs may have been raised and we may get a knock-on effect from that.

Interestingly we've had one enquiry so far on the back of the show... Do you think they wanted detailed information on the drivetrain, moulding process or aerodynamics... or possibly information on the training program that got Guy and Jason into record-braking shape?? No. They wanted to know where they could buy an Eastway/BHPC T-Shirt like the one Mike was wearing. I kid you not...

legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 10:59am
Originally posted by AlanGoodman AlanGoodman wrote:

Response to the show has been very positive - The only exception to that has been a couple of people in the US (mainly Thom Ollinger) who were sneering at us on Facebook before the show even went out... The main thing that came across from their whining was jealousy at the resources that were made available for the attempt.

Another good reason to eschew the Mega-Global Walled Garden Corporation of Menlo Park, USAnia...
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
KevinJ View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 2:13pm
Thanks for getting me involved Jonathan.  It was quite something to see the set-up they had there. Let's just say they (the production company) are slightly better organised than the average BHPC setup Wink

And the electronics attached around the bike was pretty amazing as well.

We ought to get a details about the bike build and spec and put it on the site (and magazine) - Though I suspect the latter is in plan.

Given the weather was dire it was very impressive.  What was amazing I thought was the consistency of the riding- generally lapping (before rain) within 5 seconds or so (on a 5 minute lap).

It is a bit odd that anyone won't really accept the record since the amount of evidence must be massive (film, witness recording, GPS logs, etc).  Difficult to see how it could be much better!
Kevin Jenkins

Windcheetah
Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 5:22pm
This is a link to a bootleg copy on youtube for the folk outside the Channel 4 zone of distribution.

Don't usual condone this behaviour but I'll make an exception as it positively promotes 'proper' bike :-)

Karl
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 10:50am
Is the machine available for BHPC to use? I'm up for a race in it next year if anyone else is... 
Russ

ps great TV by the way...
Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 12:19pm
Get me and you in there Russ and it will accelerate quick enough haha

Karl 
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 12:30pm
It is going on display in the reception of the people who did the moulding but I believe they might make it available if we ask nicely...
Don't forget it's single speed so probably not a lot of good at Hog Hill!!!

Karl View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 9:39am
Just watched the last in the series of the Guy Martin - Speed, Soap Box racer down Mt Ventoux...

Why didn't they put wheel covers on? 

Karl
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 11:00am
That's what I thought too Karl. No brainer.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic