BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archive (pre-February 2015) > Public Archive > The BHPC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Forum LockedRichard Ballantine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Adrian Setter View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Setter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:39am
Richard's inspirational writing was largely responsible both - in the form of Richard's Bicycle Book - for my taking up cycling seriously and - through pieces in Bicycle magazine - for sparking my interest in recumbents.  I'll always be grateful that he contributed to my enjoyment of my life.  Through similar influences on others, he made the world a better place too.

And, whilst I'm happy never to have had the need to kill a dog, I've been far less afraid of them since I read how to do it.

Edited by Adrian Setter - 30 May 2013 at 12:36pm
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer
Andhar View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:16am

I echo peoples comments here as I was also inspired by his books and articles in various cycling magazines(some of which I still have). I had a tear in my eye when I read about his funeral arrangements. The bike hearse seems so apt and the informal dress. One the true cycling greats as far as I am concerned.

Andrew Harrington
blogwat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 9:21am
Hi Folks
sorry to hear such sad new firstly deepest sympathies to his family from what I have heard of him he was a very inspirational man ,having only met him once he seemed to be a very kind and knowledable guy i'm sure he will be missed greatly by many people.
Jeff.
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 4:12am
Message from Shawn Ballantine...

Dear Family and Friends,

We wanted to share with you that our beloved Richard passed away peacefully today surrounded by his loving family.

To celebrate Richard's life we are planning to hold two memorial services, one here in London this coming Sunday 2nd June and another one for family and friends in New York (date to be confirmed).

This Sunday 2nd June at 10am there will be a service at The Golders Green Crematorium. We will meet before the service for a procession to the crematorium. Richard will be travelling by bicycle hearse - people are welcome to use any mode of transport, including bicycles to join the procession and the meeting point and time will be confirmed soon by email.

Dress code: Richard would have liked people to wear whatever they fancy, so dress up or dress down as you like.

Flowers: In lieu of flowers we suggest that donations be made to the Marie Curie Hospice in Hampstead in Richard's name (11 Lyndhurst Gardens London NW3 5NS) or to a charity of your choice.

Gathering: The funeral will be followed by a celebration of Richard's life at 6 Primrose Hill Studios (an alley between 39-41 Fitzroy Road) London NW1 8TR. You will be fed and watered, ideally please let us know if you will be coming so we can ensure enough supplies.

We will be compiling a book of tributes and memories of Richard which you are most welcome to contribute to.

Ride on!

Team Ballantine

legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:42am
I'd been inspired to take up "serious" cycling after happening across a copy of "Richard's Bicycle Book" around 1981 and met the man for the first time a couple of years later.  We had certain "political" differences regarding the way forward for the "HPV movement" but I am still deeply proud to have had Richard as a mentor and friend for thirty years.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here whom Richard inspired to take up cycling and I doubt we'll see the likes of anyone with his combination of knowledge, enthusiasm and ability to communicate same any time soon.

b****r, I'm getting drunk tonight :(
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:21am
'Richard's Bicycle Book' in it's various manifestations was a formative influence on me in the 1980's and played a major part in the resurgence in cycling that started around then. To later get to know Richard personally was a great honour.

The term 'ambassador' in the informal sense of the word suited him well - both in that he was a high-profile figurehead and that he had considerable skill in diplomacy. But he never played on his deserved status and reputation and always remained approachable. His spontaneous enthusiasm for the benefits of cycling in general and HPVs in particular was even more infectious in real life than it was in print. Zzzwwaaaammo!
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:46pm
This is very sad news. Richard has done a huge amount for the Club over many years, as a promoter and motivator and as a useful stabilising influence at times. It was great for us to be associated with such a high-profile name and he will be very greatly missed.
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 5:58pm
It is with great sadness that I have to report that Richard passed away this afternoon.

I'm sure most of you know that he had been unwell for some time but he remained constantly in touch with all things BHPC until very recently.

It's been an absolute pleasure to know Richard and to work with him on the BHPC Committee and he will be very greatly missed.

An announcement will be made shortly about the funeral arrangements.

In the meantime our sincere condolences go to Richard's family at this time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic