BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

RATTY Progress...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RATTY Progress...
    Posted: 28 February 2013 at 9:20am
For those without Facebook... Big smile
Bruvver Dave has got the Ratracer together and running now - I've been playing in the local supermarket car park before they opened this morning... At least I can ride this one... Big smile Big smile Big smile

It's not pretty yet and still needs fettling...  Feeling a bit undergeared at the moment...
Many thanks to Mike for making a new chain idler. The front bits of the fairing are sadly no longer with the bike and I don't know yet if the moulds still exist...

The plan at the moment is that Dave will probably race the bike at Hillingdon while I'm at the Pedal Car race in Yorkshire... And I'll hopefully race it at Shrewsbury and beyond... Best keep well away from me on the hairpin, especially on the first few laps! LOL

graydog View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 9:30am
Bit under geared! Blimey your fitter than me then......Or............perhaps you've not been up any hills yet......!

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 9:33am
Big smile It could be partly that I'm not used to the short cranks yet... Or maybe it's my hideously over-developed legs from all the winter tr***ing... Big smile Big smile Big smile

graydog View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 9:58am
To be fair at 32 on the flat it did seem a bit undergeared and only had three more gears on the block, your probably right....,
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 10:10am
I haven't got a speedo on it but I'm sure I was doing at least 33. :o)
I could really get to like those short cranks. Never used them before but they feel really good! Can't really ride it on the road (not in traffic anyway) so need to get it on a track :o)
It looks like some replacement bits for the front of the fairing will be available soon. ;o)

Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 1:28pm
Welcome to the Rattypack!

But what's this I see? Can it be a brake cable sneaking off towards the rear wheel?? Surely some mistake - Mr Burrows is always very reluctant to have any brakes at all on his bikes so to find two on one bike looks like extreme carelessness. I'd send it straight back, you don't know what else might be wrong with it.

However if you do decide to keep it I have a spare Ventisit pad custom made for a Ratty seat, if it's of any interest.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 1:43pm
It has drum brakes front and rear, both operated from a single lever... Looks similar to the ones on Windcheetahs that brake both front wheels...

I assume it is original and not added by Sherri or Graham???

PM on the way...

Adrian Setter View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Setter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 3:11pm
The "classic" Ratracer had two brakes and I believe Alan's is the next development after that (bigger tailbox and aero add-ons to the frame), so the rear brake is quite likely to be original.

It's a bit academic since the rear one on a "classic" ratty does next to nothing anyway!   

Edited by Adrian Setter - 28 February 2013 at 3:11pm
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 3:13pm
Brakes only slow you down anyway... and I'm plenty slow enough... Big smile

Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2013 at 11:36pm
Went along to a pedal car test at Shenington today and did a couple of laps on the Ratracer there... Very pleased to find I was able to get round the twisty bits without frightening myself too much... This obviously means I wasn't going fast enough! Big smile

Shenington is a fantastic track by the way... The streamliners may need to use their brakes a bit more than usual but the rest of you would love it...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic