BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archive (pre-February 2015) > Public Archive > Which Forum?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Forum LockedLooking for advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixer771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for advice please
    Posted: 20 November 2012 at 3:56pm
Good afternoon one and all, at present i am researching recumbent bikes and trikes. The reason for this is i am needing a total shoulder replacement and am struggling to ride my road/mountain bikes. The recumbent exercise bikes at my gym cause me no pain so am liking the idea of one on the road. My questions to you more knowledgeable and wiser than me people are:-
1. which is the better of the 2?
2. who builds them?
3. where can i find them?
4. what kind of price are they? and what is a reasonable price to pay?

thanking you in anticipation

Darren (new guy)
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 4:37pm
Hi Darren,

Best bet is to have a sit/go on a few and see what feels best... Kevin at D-Tek is very helpful and will probably have some demonstrators so may be worth a trip to Cambridgeshire... 01353 648177

Keep an eye on Ebay... They often come up on there.

gixer771 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixer771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 4:49pm
Thanks for that Alan, i shall give him a bell Smile
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 5:09pm
Hi Darren.

Bike or trike? There's a can of worms right there! I can only say, as a proviso to Alan's very sensible suggestion, that both have advantages and disadvantages, but the advantages of a trike show up more readily in a quick try-out round a carpark. Please bear in mind that two-wheelers shouldn't be dismissed because of the steeper learning curve.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
gixer771 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gixer771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 6:05pm
Hi Geoff
i'm not discounting anything, gonna try them both
NickM View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 8:56am
Bike or Trike? Neither is better, but they are very different, so it depends what you want to do - club riding, solo touring, racing... Unlike uprights, which are so highly evolved that they are all pretty similar, recumbents are diverse. Part of the fun (and recumbents are a lot of fun - they have rejuvenated my cycling) is trying different ones.

Over the past six years I have owned lots of recumbents of most sorts, and have settled on two: a short wheelbase bike with a tailbox (a Kingcycle - the closest currently available equivalents are the Burrows Ratcatcher and the Bacchetta Giro) and a trike (ICE Sprint RS).

These don't go uphill as quickly as uprights (you can't honk, and the trike is heavier), but they catch up downhill, or into a headwind on the flat. You need when trying recumbents to make allowances for their different speed dynamics. And it will take a while for your legs to become accustomed to pedalling in a new position, so don't be disheartened if you seem slow at first.
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 9:15am
Originally posted by NickM NickM wrote:

so don't be disheartened if you seem slow at first.

When will it be ok for me to be disheartened about being slow?? LOL

Twed View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 12:26pm
"When will it be ok for me to be disheartened about being slow??"
Easy Alan!
Like me....When the reality (of your bio-mechanicals) finally over-rules the fantasy (of what your brain thinks you should be doing)!
Why do you think I went to full streamliners
Never believe an atom they make up everything.
Yowie View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 2:30pm
Ahem..  Embarrassed
Ur ICE Trike
http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/ice-trice-micro-for-sale_topic4705.html

Edited by Yowie - 24 November 2012 at 2:32pm
Stelmosfire View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stelmosfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 8:58pm
Hi,
 don't know if you have found anything to ride yet, but if any help I am located in Bridgnorth, and have a recumbent that you could ride. It is a 26" 20" with a middle of the road seating position, so not too low or too high. If you would be interested in taking a chance on what maybe a waisted afternoon or not. I have designed and built it myself. (I am a welder fabricator, and dabble in a bit of design.)  Self build could be a way to get a recumbent the way you want it a price that is also reasonable. If you would like to contact me leave reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic