BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympics
    Posted: 01 August 2012 at 8:47pm
Went down to Surrey today to watch Sir Bradley Wiggins (might not be "Sir" yet but he will be soon I'm sure... Big smile )

Fantastic atmosphere and a great performance by Wiggins and Froome...

32MPH average speed...

Wonder what he would do on a machine with decent aerodynamics?

GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 8:51pm
Go even faster?
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
graydog View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:08pm
Not have as far to fall :-)
graydog View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:08pm
Top man!!!
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:23pm
Sorry Alan - just jealous I wasn't there!
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:50pm

Big smile

Cracking day out... Great atmosphere among the crowd.

Adrian Setter View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Setter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 9:29am
Great performance.  Shame he's gone and spoilt my enjoyment of it with some ill-informed comments about c+mp+ls+ry h+lm+ts.
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer
HeatherF View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 2:07pm
Andrew and I went to Hampton Court to watch the time trial. Managed to get positioned right next to the start ramp and saw all the riders start in both races. Watched the whole race on a big screen and then saw Brad and Chris etc as they came back. Also got a good position for the medal ceremony. It was a fantastic day out and I'm so glad we went and watched. The atmosphere was terrific.

Heather

p.s. I'm all for helmets - mine certainly saved me from even more serious damage! 
Adrian Setter View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Setter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 3:13pm
I respect your choice and everyone else's on whether or not to wear a helmet.  For myself, sometimes I choose to and sometimes I don't (it's not a random thing but a ride-by-ride risk assessment), but I think I ride more miles with a helmet than without.

My issue is with compulsion. 

It seems well-established, from the few places it's happened, that the one certain effect of compulsory helmets is to significantly reduce the numbers of people cycling.  Those people no longer cycling are no longer getting the health benefits.  Since the life-years gained by cycling outweigh the life-years lost in cycling accidents by around 20:1, the overall effect of compulsion is to reduce life expectancy.  Or, in more provocative words, compulsory helmets kill people.

On top of that, if there is anything in the "safety in numbers" argument, then the reduction in numbers of people cycling means it becomes more risky for those that carry on doing it.  Whether for this reason or one of the others touted (such as risk-compensation) I know that in Australia, the rate of head injury per mile cycled went up when compulsory helmet laws were brought in.

Edited by Adrian Setter - 02 August 2012 at 3:14pm
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 3:31pm
There is an article on this subject here...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic