BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Throwing the toy's out of the pram !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throwing the toy's out of the pram !
    Posted: 16 April 2011 at 9:03pm

How Do All,

I made some rather nice carbon reinforced plastic racing goodies for my bike over the past weeks, today I toiled and toiled to fit the new wheel disks and the bike looked great.

Sadly I have an issue with the rear brake calliper which rubs on the disk where there is a slight raise from the moulding which can not be rubbed down as the disk is so thin.
so I spent the evening toiling again the take the disks off and try and get my bike in a ridable condition for the morrow, many toy's  where launced across the garden in the process.
I now have now lost all my desires to race tommorow, I feel like I have lost any advantage I may have gained and a bunch of cash and time to boot. Ho Hum. Cry

Here are a couple of pics of what the bike would have looked like tomorrow.

Take care,
Barry ;-)

graydog View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 9:42pm
MAN what can I say sweet!!!

GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 11:23pm
Ah, the highs and lows of being a HPV home builder. Looks good though Barry.

Hope you decide to turn up tomorrow after you've calmed down a bit Big smile
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 11:46pm
Certainly looks fantastic Barry!
Hope to see you at Hillingdon tomorrow...

bazz View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 8:43pm
How Do All,

Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated.

It is a shame that I was not able to run with the disked wheel, but I had a fantastic day out with some equally fantastic people; so that more than made up for it Big smile

Thanks to all that gave advice about possible fixes for the clearance issue, much appreciated and I hope that I will have a working specimen for the next outing.

Take  care,
Barry ;-)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 8:56pm
Thanks for all your help Barry - Those locks are more tricky than a Rubik Cube!!

bazz View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:48pm
No Worries  Alan, Glad that I was of some use, and it was a pleasure to help.
I really think that they could make the locking and unlocking system a little more user friendly, and if it was not for Mike's magic fingers; we may never have got through the front door ;-)

bazz View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 8:38am

How Do All,

Well The toys are back in the pram now, I was able to re-fit the disks to the rear wheel; and using some M5 washer shims I was able to move the Disk rotor and calliper out 1.94mm; which gave me 1mm clearance between the disk and calliper, thanks for the advice Neil.

I also added an extra zip tie at the hub to pull the slight bulge from the mould in too; so now this works great.

Also thanks to Geoff for his advice on smoothing out the mould with pattern wax, I will give this a go as it will save trying to make a new mould from scratch.

I had to cut and re-join the drive side disk as I had over-corrected the dish first time round so went from too much dish to not enough dish, I placed the new repair opposite the first repair and this has also balanced the wheel out now.

I took the bike out for a 30 mile sprint around the borough yesterday morning and the disk performed nicely, though it did tend to rattle on the rim a little when going over bumps, rough surface or braking hard on the rear (don’t normally use the back brake much), this won’t be an issue on the track though, and I could probably add a strip of foam tape between the disk and rim, or use foam spacers between the disks where the rubber bands pull the skins in to the rim.

The last little thing is that the chain rubs the disk in bottom gear; I think this is due to the fact that I have a small 25 tooth sprocket there; a larger sprocket would probably clear the chain from the disk but would mean bigger steps between gears; so I will live with the rubbing for now.

I am really looking forward to trying this out at Reading now, I just wish I could get to the next couple of races in the meantime.

There are some more pictures here: (including a mirror fairing made from a Prop spinner and the first plain carbon number plate I made but did not use)

Thank s to all that gave me some great advice at Hillingdon, much appreciated,

Take care,

Barry  ;-)

Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 8:40am
Nice!!! Thumbs Up

hotta View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 1:08pm
well done barry,glad it worked out ok,was good start to the years racing,Clap
never stop it hurts less in the end
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic