BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archive (pre-February 2015) > Public Archive > The BHPC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Forum LockedNew to this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 3:13pm
Thanks Kevin. I've had a look round for that tandem and I've dug up a few references. I found a link to some plans but it has since expired. One site mentions that it is aluminium over a foam core with a steel subframe, but no more details. I'd be curious to know how they cut and shaped the top and bottom pieces of aluminium for riveting. I imagine lots of little individual cuts and bends might create lots of points for stress concentration.
That's quite a decent looking side car Geoff. I used to live on the Isle of Man and got to see a lot of these during TT week Smile.
Sounds like you're very well kitted out, Paul. I'm still waiting around for my delivery of plywood, which should have arrived this morning. What are you thinking for streamling? I've been reading The Leading Edge by Goro Tamai after looking over Miles Kingbury's write up on building a quadcycle,

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/quattro.aspx

It's explained a few things that I've not seen in more standard areodynamics text books, and its very comprehensive if you like that sort of thing. There are some good links on making Coroplast fairing on this facebook page,

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=15644592486&v=app_2373072738

Steve.
Shiner View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 5:15pm
Pully arrived yesterday Thanks Geoff... Chains on and the bike rides, the problem is the riders not used to it.... lol.. Ive started on making a neck support now so I dont end up in A&E with my head stuck looking down!!

Seeing its a nice day. And my bike goes forwards.. Ive decided to give it a splash of colour ''what I found under the sink!'' as Im penny pinching with this prototype...

Tomorrow I will re build, and start putting the brakes and 3 speed back together..

Then finish said headrest, change the pedals and pad the seat... Don't let me forget ''chain guard''

DONE in a week... BISH BASH BOSH!!!

Stranger things have happened!
Shiner View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 6:02pm

A FEW PICS OF THE FINISHED ARTICLE... OR IF YOU LIKE VIDEOS???? ILL UPLOAD ONE IN A SEC

THERES STILL A BIT MORE PULLY AND CAIN WORK TO BE DONE TO MAKE IT SAFER.. BUT IT WORKS!

Shiner View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 6:07pm

Please excuse my stepfathers language... If your easily offended he says 'D**k Head'
thanks, Paul...
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:21pm
been watching the build wth interest, well done!!!  And you can ride it!!!Thumbs Up
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:32pm
Could be the record for the fastest recumbent build in history Paul! Looks very tidy.

Steve - Marloes Dries has kindly sent me a PDF of the back-to-back tandem plans in response to your request. PM me with an email address and I'll send them to you.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
SteveArmstrong View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:53pm
Looks fantastic Paul! I like the skull details. Perhaps there is room for a new race category here, one where you start without a bike and have to build it before racing to the finish.
Shiner View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 8:38pm
One week exactly! thanks all again.. the red paint and skull stickers were found under the sink, I basicly used what I could lay my hands on!

Few issues to address.. I need another pulley (smaller one) to lift the chain off the forks, and get my 3 speed hub all wirded up so I can used 2nd and 3rd and test it at some real speed!!

So its not technicaly its not quite finished.. I cant wait untill its 'road safe' and I can really see what it can do...

{Did any of you spot a change?}
I had to raise the seating possition as the wheel base is so short, there was no weight over the front and it just fell over at the slighest wobble! Raised seat.. sorted!

Paul H
Shiner View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 8:41pm
Im up for the new bike building race idea!! Le mans style.. but instead of running your building! 
bazz View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 7:07am
How Do Paul,

Congrats on making £30.00 priceless in one week Thumbs Up

The seat angle looks better now; and can make a hell of a difference on a new ride. if you wanted to recline the seat at a later date you would probably find balance less of a problem once You are accustomed to the machine, you also look pretty comfortable riding it.

Deffinitely not a Duck Head Big smile
Take care,
Barry ;-)

Edited by bazz - 11 April 2011 at 7:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic