BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Topic ClosedLancaster-Preston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 10:34am
The results will be available as soon as the Lancaster ones reach me by Babbage-Engine, cleft stick or carrier pigeon.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 12:13am

Thanks for the results Dave. Not too bad for a fat old git. My speedo said 20.4 average for Lancaster, but over 22 for Preston. Curious.

I gather I'm unpopular with the pedal car because I didn't want to shake his hand. Well, it's not something we do much anyway. Since they turned up late, delayed my schedule by an hour, did no work at the front, raced illegally with helmet unfastened, twitched about and did not pay attention etc, I was not disposed to be friendly. Without him I would have done what I could to contest the finish with Mike and Alan. As it was I chose to leave the group at the start of the last lap.

I bet a Kingsbury Parrot from 20 years ago would slaughter those pedal cars, let alone the Fortuna

Jonathan

antony View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Protobikes Protobikes wrote:

... did no work at the front ...

The rest I completely agree with, but I thought this was a vaguely amusing coincidence:

Originally posted by In another topic, AlanGoodman In another topic, AlanGoodman wrote:

I was staggered by my average speed on my old Kingcycle at Preston...

All down to the fact that I was sitting behind faster riders for the whole race...

Originally posted by Protobikes Protobikes wrote:

I bet a Kingsbury Parrot from 20 years ago would slaughter those pedal cars, let alone the Fortuna

Um. Yes, quite possibly. And by definition therefore, about 2/3rds of the current BHPC field including the entire grid in races 2 and 3, and some of race 1 as well.

Although I fail to see the relevance of this to, er, anything at all!
Alistair View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 6:09pm
Well it's nice to know that instead of having a quiet word and passing on what could be years on experience to someone that's still very much a junior and therefore inexperienced (I'm sure you were new to it as well) so in future he doesn't continue causing you problems you instead just grumble about it.

Yes the helmet thing sounded rather foolish on his part but you've got to expect that "newbies" will not be at your standard straight away and to have some patience, As I said I'm sure when you where inexperienced you upset people just the same as him. If you don't let any new people come into the sport till they're at a top level there'll be no new people coming into the sport or wanting to.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 8:39pm
Gentlemen

I do not usually involve myself in spats on message boards, but think that there are a couple of things to mention before things go to far.

While we operate the race events as the BHPC, there is also a very active pedal car race series specifically for the four wheeled variety. As far as I am concerned, and I do not necessarily speak for the club here, just my own opinion, I do not have any problem with having pedal cars racing at the same time during the BHPC events. However, pedal cars are markedly different from bikes and trikes in terms of handling, acceleration and the like. Since our events are predominantly comprised of bikes and trikes racing in a year long championship, I would think it a matter of courtesy to do one's best to 'fit in' to the race as best able. Since all our racers (even what some might consider the slower ones) are all competing for points against each other in the championship tables, I would suggest that track behaviour is of even greater importance. A lot of work has been done this year by many people to try to organise events that enable all of us to enjoy safe and moreover competitive racing. So I guess my point would be that pedal cars are welcome, but think about it a bit more - what if these actions were reversed at a pedal car meet ?

The issue with the helmet is cut and dried - no helmet, of suitable size and manufacture, fitted correctly, no race. In fact, not even allowed on the track - our insurance does not permit anything else. Come to our events and you will hear an occaisonal chorus of 'off the track !!', even to Mike Burrows and other VIP's   If I had realised that the helmet was not attached, I would have  flagged down the racer and removed them from the track, as has been done in the past. There are no exceptions. Even those in streamliners wear appropriate headgear.

Finally, I appreciate that you might not know of Jonathan Woolrich (Protobikes), but he has done rather a lot for the HPV community - there's more than one reason for his life membership of the BHPC (the only life member), and the respect that he has internationally as well (Battle Mountain, anyone ?). He's also always one of the first to help the "newbies" whenever possible (myself included, three years ago ....)

Time for a time out, I think. Remember we do this for fun ....

Edited by rob gillions
gNick View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 9:46pm
This has already been discussed at great length on the BPCC forum and is closed there and will now be closed here after I have my comment!

The helmet issue is considerably less forgivable if you read the BPCC rules which state:

"A modern cycle helmet must be worn by all drivers when in the car whether in a race or just playing around. This rule applies at all times.
Helmets must be worn and fastened properly (i.e. the helmet must be on top of the head NOT on the back of the head, chin strap fastened under chin, etc).
Anyone found in a moving car, whether on the track or off, before or during an event, not wearing a correctly fitted cycle helmet will be stopped from driving until such time as a suitable helmet is correctly fitted. Additionally they will have their name taken, they will be reported to their team manager, and the team will be penalised for every offence.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED."

I understand Jon's point - Charles is an experienced enough racer to sit in the train all the way round - and though I don't particularly agree with the level of vehemence, I wasn't someone who had his race delayed for an hour for the benefit of someone who wasn't prepared to do his share of the work.

On a lighter note I'm not sure whether I do race for fun, I don't know why I do it but fun doesn't seem to be there. An excuse for liquid anaesthetic probably!
Also Rob, it is Woolrich not Woolridge and you the Membership Secretary tsk tsk (walks off rattling knitting needles in protest).

Right for any further comment, please start a new topic on race etiquette or something.

gNick

"I'm afraid it's definite, Mrs Banker - your son has bicycles"
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2005 at 10:19pm
gNick

Thanks for the schpelling correction, now made. Unfortunately, it is past beer o'clock after a longish 30 mile training ride (yep, even I've started those now ), and I forgot to spell check, or even cast a cursory eye ...

Consider me chastised (but not with needles - don't like them, almost as horrible as wasps ...)

Edited by rob gillions
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2005 at 7:52am

I wasn't able to get in front to share the work I'm afraid.

I was really struggling to hang on where I was. As I said in the other thread my average speed was about 2MPH faster than I would usually expect on the Kingycle.

The pedal car was a bit erratic, especially when he collected his helmet from somebody at trackside and then swung back across the track putting it on his head. He gave me a bit of a fright as I was on the bit of track he was heading for, and I think I shouted something out to him.

At the end of the day though, he was still a good bit faster than me and I was more than happy to shake his hand after the race.

Just for the record, Jon was also faster than me and was growing in my mirror at an alarming rate during the final lap. I'm certain he would have caught and passed me if he hadn't dropped so far back at the beginning of that lap.

I actually really enjoyed that race. It's unusual for me to be at the front end of things and I really liked the Preston track.

One of the reasons I like BHPC events is seeing all the diverse machines and I certainly wouldn't want to see anything excluded.

As my daughter is one of the juniors wobbling around at the moment I have to be very careful what I say about inexperienced riders...

See you all at Castle Coombe.

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic