BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Folding handlebar stem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velocio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folding handlebar stem
    Posted: 14 September 2017 at 3:30pm
Apologies for what is no doubt an obvious question to those of you with more experience of recumbents.  I recently acquired a rare 'Aerobike' recumbent.  Two wheeler, long wheelbase and designed as a comfortable touring bike.  There were only about 40 of these made, in Edinburgh, in the mid 1990's.  I am re-assembling the bike and updating it with some modern components.

This includes a handlebar stem and bracket that enables the stem and bars to fold down.  My question is about how much tension there should be on the bracket.  If the retaining bolt is tightened up, the stem holds itself at whatever height / angle it is moved to; but moves easily up and down if any pressure is put on the handlebars.  Or should it be so loose that I need to hold the bars up while cycling?

Thanks in advance.
simon View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2017 at 7:31pm
I have two bikes with pivoting stems one is loose but has a stop so it can fold up and down ,the other is tight but can be adjusted on the move ,I can't imagine holding the handlebars up in position for long as it gets very tiring just holding your arms up
So you either need them tight or fix a stop somehow
SIMON
Velocio View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velocio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2017 at 3:05pm
thanks Simon - I'll try them tight and see how it goes.

Velocio
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic