BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Flags and poles: looking for recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flags and poles: looking for recommendations
    Posted: 10 September 2019 at 5:11pm
Hi all!

In preparation for the upcoming Extinction Rebellion protests I am thinking of equipping my Quest with a nice flag. Do you have any recommendations about what to use as a flag pole and flag?

For a protest it should not be hard to put something together with whatever long pole I can get hold of and any random piece of fabric, but it would be ideal if the set up can be reused to make the velomobile more visible in other contexts, so the pole should ideally withstand relatively high speeds and winds, be lightweight, the flag should be visible but not add much drag or exposure to side winds, and so on.

Also I am thinking about adding a bright LED at the top, or potentially a led strip like the ones I have added at the front…

I have seen https://t-cycle.com/collections/all-purple-sky-products/ which look great but I am not keen to order from the US (and it's a bit expensive too!)

Antonin

Edited by antonin_d - 10 September 2019 at 5:13pm
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 5:37pm
What about contacting ICE Trikes, they have poles and flags for their trikes.

I can't think of any UK velomobile riders who use flags.
Ian, racing again No 6.
kim View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 6:45pm
I don't use a flag myself, but the fibreglass poles supplied by ICE certainly seem up to the job. You could probably obtain something similar from a supplier of kite parts.
farwer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 8:30pm
I use a standard kids bike safety flag:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fp%2F6004333008

The orange one is very visible and not too big. I attach it just with cable ties. The connectors between the pole segments have to be not too weak. With a different flag a connector snapped and I lost the light which was attached to the pole.

A light like the Cateye RapidX2 fits perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic