BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Electric Velomobiles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Velomobiles
    Posted: 15 February 2017 at 2:03pm
A faired eTrike (i.e. velomobile) from Grant Sinclair: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38960275

and also here:

Edited by atlas_shrugged - 15 February 2017 at 2:37pm
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 2:51pm
Number 47
blogwat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 9:19am
Good point in the comments, where are the rear view mirrors and what about a windscreen wiper apart from that it looks nice, down payment of £99 similar to the last one that did not materialise hope this one is not going to be the same, you know me mr optomistic. LOL
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
Karl View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 10:24am
Hate to be the one to dampen the spirit.

See link, its not road legal without type approval.. it simply goes to quick at (c)30mph, should be limited to 15.5mph

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

Shame as its a nice idea.
We need more like this to solve the transport problems.

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 10:29am
Yep!
There has been a lot of discussion on this on Facebook - Definitely not legal.
The faster version comes fitted with Tannus solid tyres and there is no suspension... erm... Good luck with that even if they do manage to stay on the front rims!!

It would also be like a mobile greenhouse with overheating and steaming up likely to be issues.

I doubt we will see very many.
Number 47
Karl View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 10:41am
On a slightly different note I don't think the business model has legs.

The volumes would need to be huge to have distributors/dealers in other countries while still offering it for £3K - £3.5K
Presuming they are manufacturing in the far East? 

I could be wrong... I usually am! 

Its easy to sit here point fault but hats off to the the guy for trying and being the first!

Mark42 View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 10:40pm
The IRIS eTrike Eco advert only states that "SUPER FAST - ultralight streamlined shape increases speed potential to over 25mph (approx 40kph)" not the motor driving it to 25mph.

The motor is 250 Watt and it even states that it has been developed to be road legal so I don't see why it is definitely not legal.

Rear view is via camera and it has ducting for fresh air which hopefully stops it being a sweat box so they seem to have attempted to cover everything.

I don't think I would buy one as I don't like to be enclosed or feel the need electrical assistance but it would be great to have a go in one Smile
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 9:28am
There is a bit of chatter about a Messerschmitt (delta) reconstruction here:

Frame / chassis: Extremely torsion-resistant hybrid steel GRP / CFK composite monocoque.

Motor: 8Kw permanent Magnetmotor. Motor: 8Kw permanent magnet motor.

Batterie System: LiFeP04, 48 Volt, Kapazität 3,6Kw. Battery System: LiFeP04, 48 Volt, Capacity 3,6Kw.
Reichweite max: 100km*. Range max: 100km *. Ladezeit 3 Std.. Charging time 3 h ..

Fahrersitz: Vinylsitz. Driver's seat: Vinyl seat. Sitzposition in Länge verstellbar für Fahrer von 150cm bis 195cm Größe. Seat position adjustable in length for drivers from 150cm to 195cm size.

Federung: 3 Gasdämpfereinheiten. Suspension : 3 gas damping units.

Bereifung: PIRELLI 140/60-13 oder ähnlich. Tires: PIRELLI 140 / 60-13 or similar.

Felgen: Vorne 6 Speichen HD-Aluminium, hinten Aluminium. Rims: Front 6 spokes HD-aluminum, rear aluminum.

Lenkung: Vorderradlenkung mit perfektem Geradeauslauf und stabile Kurvenlage. Steering: Front wheel steering with perfect straight running and stable cornering.

Steuerhorn: Im Flugzeugstyle. Steering wheel: In the aircraft style.

Karosserie: Hardtop und alle Karosserieteile aus GFK und in wenigen Minuten abnehmbar. Body: hard top and all body parts made of GRP and removable in a few minutes.

Aussenspiegel: Chrome-Spiegel. Exterior Mirror: Chrome Mirror.

Bremsen: Hydraulikscheibenbremsem an allen Rädern. Brakes: Hydraulic disc brakes on all wheels.

Feststellbremse: Mechanische Parkbremse. Parking brake: Mechanical parking brake.

Frontscheinwerfer: Elipsoid-LED. Front lights: Elipsoid-LED.

Rückleuchten: Alle in LED. Taillights: All in LED.

Masse: L285cm X B127cm X H110cm Mass: L285cm X B127cm X H110cm

Wendekreis: 8,5m Turning circle: 8,5m

Höchstgeschwindigkeit: 90km/h* als L7e Version. Maximum speed: 90km / h * as L7e version.

Gewicht: Ca. Weight: Approx. 180kg (inkl. Batterie, fahrfertig). 180kg (incl. Battery, ready for use).

Maximale Zuladung: 200kg Fahrer & Sozius oder Fahrer & Gepäck. Maximum load: 200kg driver & passenger or driver & luggage.

Edited by atlas_shrugged - 26 February 2017 at 9:32am
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 8:49pm
As stated rear view is by camera, and I don't know if anyone picked this up but the system is available  separately for £130. Could be a useful addition to any Velomobile as it would let you do away with the wing mirrors and so increase overall speed. http://www.grantsinclair.com/en/micro-computers/poco-zero-plus-assembled.html
Also two versions are offered. One road legal with a 250 watt motor, and one not with a 1,000 watt motor.

The road legal one is eligible for a Green Commute Initiative Grant if your employer participates which makes it cheaper. http://greencommuteinitiative.uk/employees/

The fairing construction is interesting in that it is effectively a very large cycle helmet over a steel frame recumbent as it uses the same construction as cycle helmets.

My criticisms would be the aerodynamics around the lights and rear and the use of Plexiglas acrylic for the canopy, that should be Polycarbonate. Personally I'd like to see it a bit more laid back with a smaller frontal area.

The issue will be whether it can compete with Velomobiles already on the market that can all be fitted with electric motors. 

Roy
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 9:28pm
I like this one myself as it is Hybrid that uses Human power generated electricity as well as plug in sourced.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic