BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Dementor MBB lowracer for sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dementor MBB lowracer for sale
    Posted: 29 October 2016 at 6:12pm
My 'Dementor' moving bottom bracket (MBB) lowracer project is up for sale.  Most of you are well aware of this project bike by now - in short, it's very fast, but quite unstable, especially in corners.  I know something isn't quite right with the front end geometry, but I can't work out what.  It's faster than the Velokraft Nocom in a straight line, and performed very well at Darley Moor earlier this year.  And I've got another idea for a new winter build, and no room in the shed...

The bike is complete and works well, other than the aforementioned instability.

Description:
- Bespoke cromoly frame designed by myself and built by Neil Orrell - a renowned framebuilder based in Manchester. Dark blue metallic paint.
- bespoke 'hamster' style bars
- ply seat with cushion, alu frame rear fairing with correx fairing.
- single 52T ring up front, 155mm cranks
- 9speed ultegra close ratio block with Shimano shadow XT derallieur, and Microshift gripshift
- Tektro V-brake (front only)
- Gipiemme 650C deep section wheels - these are very good wheels. (optional in the sale)
- stand

The bike was built around me, and there's no adjustment. I'm 5'11' with a 43.5" X-seam, 32" leg trousers. It'll probably fit someone an inch or so either way, beyond this you're into frame modifications. 

- I've taken the tyres off as I use them on the Nocom.

For info the comparitive speeds at Darley Moor were:
- Nocom, unfaired: 26.3mph
- Nocom, rat-racer rear fairing (some gaps) 26.6mph
- Dementor: 27.3mph

I'm not looking for much for this - I'd rather someone has a bash at riding / fixing the geometry issues than take it to bits. £150 collected from Manchester, or £300 with the wheels

Edited by russellbridge - 29 October 2016 at 6:19pm
blogwat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 3:14pm
Could the handling be improved by lowering the bottom Bracket height to the height of the bottom of the seat as pointed out by Marc Lousard when building the Speculoos bike.
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
jdp298 View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdp298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 6:33pm
Shame you're binning out. I've a Cruzbike and it took me roughly 100 miles to get anywhere near comfortable with it. Now I'm over 1000 it's much less of a problem.

If you were worried about the geometry, I imagine it's the effective head-tube angle as the front axle is tilted further forward than the actual angle. Also note that Vendetta riders don't have 'hamster-bars', instead preferring wider drop handlebars.

I'll see if the Cruzbike forums have any advice.

Edited by jdp298 - 13 November 2016 at 6:40pm
larryoslund View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larryoslund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 2:44am
Hi Russell,
I am quite interested in your MBB.
I have a Cruzbike Vendetta, a Morciglio Hammerhead MBB-FWD recumbent also, as well as a super lower racer M1, and an M5.
I even have a custom build low racer than a guy in Michigan built but could not ride.
He sold it because he could not ride it - saying many of the same things that you did.
I was able to ride it the first time, but probably only because I have years of experience with FWD-MMB platforms.
If I were you, I would try and put a wider set of handlebars on it for awhile until you are able to master it that way and feel comfortable. Then move up to your narrow bars. That is what I did on my Vendetta and now I ride and race it with only 10" handlebars.

If you still want to sell it, I would be very  interested in purchasing it if you would be willing to pack it up for me and mail it to me. I would of course be willing to pay for whatever shipping charges are, as long as I have a good idea of what they would be. I don't think they would be that much as last year I bought a used M5 from a guy in Finland and it only cost $90 to send it to me from there.
Feel free to contact me via email at larryoslund@gmail.com
Thanks,
Larry
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 2:25pm
Hi Larry
Are you a zipcode please, and I'll try to get a shipping quote. Do you know which company shipped the M5?
Regards
Russ
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 1:12pm
Last chance before it goes on fleabay...
Russ
Lawling View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2017 at 3:29pm
Hi There, Have you sold your Dementor MBB lowracer pls?  you can email me: larrydr124@gmail.com.
Thanks
Larry
Lawling View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2017 at 3:40pm
Thats a different Larry btw  ( weird coincidence!)
JohnnyAppleby View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyAppleby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2017 at 5:49pm
I'm pleased to announce that the Applebys are now the proud owners of Russells Dementor    great to meet you again today Russ
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2017 at 5:52pm
Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic