BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Coroplast fairings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote expedlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coroplast fairings
    Posted: 06 January 2021 at 6:25pm
Hi folks
I know a lot of you have experience with home built plastic fairings.

Specifically, I'm interested in which double sided adhesive tapes are best i.e those used by signage(estate agents etc) companies.
Any advice on materials for making and attaching brackets for quick release and removal also sought. I was thinking coroplast in multiple layers, some fibreglass moulded to frame shape or plywood
(It would be both for recumbent trike and bike)

Thanks

Thanks
Its life jim, but not as we know it.
Woolly Hat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woolly Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 8:28am
I use a 3M tape intended for car exterior trim. Not sure what the reference is and it ain't cheap but it's very difficult to separate afterwards. It's 12mm wide and I run multiple strips in parallel for strength. You can get hot glue specifically for correx and it works well, especially for bonding flat surfaces (gluegunsdirect.com). One of the best tips I got was to use a hot air paint stripper carefully to form gradual curves in correx. It's very easy to get it too hot though. If you're trying to get a flat sheet to conform to compound curves, it makes it so much easier rather than fighting the rigidity of the panel.

Colin
Ross Low Racer 77 - beware of unexpected changes of direction
expedlar View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote expedlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 10:30am
Thanks Colin
I have used heat guns with success before.
I did buy a load of sticks from glueguns direct, it worked but it can separate in time, especially if it gets cold or under heavy load (luggage etc).

VHB tape is available from various manufacturers, but I'm needing to know specifically which is the ultimate . I have a stash of ex display signs, and the tape on it was permanent (50mm wide, very thin too)
I mean, impossible to peel apart! That's what I am looking for 😁.

I will check out some plastic suppliers and ask them advice too.

On a side note, coroplast is great for car windscreen frost protection 👍
Thanks again
expedlar View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote expedlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 4:12pm
What I found, specific for correx signage;
https://signtradesupplies.co.uk/sign-banner-fixings/adhesives.html

https://signtradesupplies.co.uk/sign-banner-fixings/adhesives/pos-white-foam-tape/toffee-tape.html
(Out of stock)
https://signtradesupplies.co.uk/stykra-450-toffee-tape-ultra.html
(In stock)

I'm going to get a roll.

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2021 at 2:19pm
I've got a roll of foam if you are interested in that. Used to be all the rage for fairings back in the day.

I used it for small parts of fairings only so I would guess I have enough for a full fairing on something like a Fujin SL2Wink

All the best.
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic