BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Connection between tiller and joint slipping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connection between tiller and joint slipping
    Posted: 07 June 2021 at 9:52pm
Hello all,

I have got a bit of a funny problem with the tiller steering rod in my Quest. I attempted a pretty sharp turn (bad idea, I know) and that was too much torque for the connection between the rod and the universal (Cardan) joint, so it became loose. The steering rod would only rotate the joint with very little torque, and slip inside the joint otherwise.

During the ride I just "fixed" it by adding a few drops of cyano glue around the connection, just for the sake of being able to steer with a bit more torque until I got home, but I think it deserves a proper fix!

What puzzles me is that I don't know how this connection is supposed to transmit torque in the first place, all I can see one tube (the rod) tightly fit into another (the joint). I would be tempted to just drill somewhere and add a radial screw, but I have the feeling that I am misunderstanding the original design here…

Curious to read what you think of that :)

Antonin

antonin_d View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 8:14am
I got in touch with Velomobiel.nl and they recommend to get the tube out of the joint and fit it again with some Loctite 638. I don't know anything about thread locks… Fair enough!
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2021 at 5:22am
You need to Join Facebook there are thriving Velomobile groups on there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic