BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

CNCing EPS: endmilling vs hot wire, waste

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runcyclexcski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CNCing EPS: endmilling vs hot wire, waste
    Posted: 05 August 2017 at 9:58pm
Hi all --

when you make your moulds, do you hot wire EPS to shape, and then sand? Has anyone tried to make a CNC router to streamline mouldmakin? Would you use a hot wire or a cutter? Hot wire sounds cheaper, but milling could work with more materials. T-slot extrusions, step motors etc can be light duty b.c. foam is so light. Arduino to control it all.

video to illustrate roughly what I have in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_4UFNipVfY

Recommendations on where to get large EPS blocks for cheap? On ebay, a full block of EPS 1x1x3 meters comes up to about 200 quid. Not a killer, but feels bad to burn 200 quid for 3 m^3 of fluff. Once I start generating a lot of EPS chips and waste -- is there any good use for it? Not looking to make any money off the waste, just don't wanna dump it on a landfill.

My experiments with balloons sucked: I was restricted to round shapes, and baloons shrunk during curing of polyurea shells.

Edited by runcyclexcski - 05 August 2017 at 10:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic