BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Chain Length Compensator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stearman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chain Length Compensator
    Posted: 26 September 2016 at 10:36pm
I've bought a 2011 Ice Adventure, my wife has a Dahon C5 Ciao, I'd like her to try the trike as for sure as eggs are eggs she will come a cropper on the Dahon (she's 75 & old bones don't bend). She is 6 inches shorter than me so I thought a chain length compensator would enable her to try it & maybe persuade her to get a trike. The kit from Ice is very expensive, I did read the description of a home made where they had used a skate board wheel on a sprung bracket as a compensator. Has anyone done similar or any other ideas, possibly a fixed derailleur to use when the boom is retracted to take up the chain slack?
stearman65 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stearman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 10:37pm
The simplest & least expensive solution to this where there are only 2 different sized riders is to have a removable section of chain & a couple of quick links, bit messy but it won't be for ever.Big smile
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 7:00pm
I have seen a homemade one somewhere, and been racking my brain trying to think where.

From memory it was 2 jockey wheels sandwiched between two aluminium plates with the plates centrally mounted on a frame, it was sprung loaded.  The chain went in a "z" around the jockey wheels with the whole assembly tilting when more chain was required.

Difficult to describe but easy to fathom once seen.

Cheers

Ian
stearman65 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stearman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2016 at 3:53pm
Thanks Ian
I've decided on the removable length of chain idea as there will be only me & my wife using the trike.
A picture is worth a thousand words
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic