BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Chain Guard for Fugin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

Originally posted by Gromit Gromit wrote:

The ICE Trikes Chain Ring Guard has a two part clamp so it might be possible to pack it out or file it to fit the Fujin?

Go to this link on ICE's web site then click on the "DOWNLOADS" tab for the instruction sheet with diagrams of the mount.

Thanks Steve, but I've measured my ICE trike BB and the Fugin BB and the Fugin starts off bigger and then adds more because of the thickness of the carbon fiber housing as opposed to the aluminium? boom housing of the trike, meaning the Fugin ends up with about a18 mm greater diameter. Looking at the ICE drawing there is nowhere near enough meat on the clamp to cope with that amount of filing. Also to be more awkward if you look at the photo, the curve and the fact the small ring overlaps the BB housing means there is no flat area that side. If it was big enough I could have mounted it on the other side and made an extension across the chain rings.

Roy

How about these then Roy?  Replacement outer chain ring and guard from Alligt.  Machined in one piece and available in 110 or 130mm BCD.

Edited by Gromit - 18 April 2018 at 8:52pm
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 9:52pm

How about these then Roy?  Replacement outer chain ring and guard from Alligt.  Machined in one piece and available in 110 or 130mm BCD.

If only it was for the track maybe but the idea was not to replace the as yet unused crankset, and certainly not for something that I would not be able to cope with the ferocious hills in my area. I'm 74 not 24. Smile

Roy
LWaB View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 10:58pm
Q

Edited by LWaB - 18 April 2018 at 11:01pm
LWaB View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 11:02pm

Originally posted by LWaB LWaB wrote:

Could you carve up a sheet of Al and mount it off the inside of your granny ring with longer bolts and spacers?

The granny ring rotates though so it can't go over the big ring without fouling? Or am I misunderstanding? It can rotate with the big ring but there is not room to fit it in because the crank is so close to it.

Roy

Just use flat sheet. A chainring guard mounted between the big ring and crank doesn't curve over the big ring either, so what is the difference?

There are precious few options for mounting a chainring guard on your machine apparently.
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:05am
Roy, when I raced an unfaired trike I used an offcut of 6mm thick Tufnol sheet, the diameter was just more than the chain (on big ring) and bolted to an old smaller chain ring on the spider, that was accepted as being sufficient.
Ian, racing again No 6.
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:35am
Roy - I think Gromit's last suggestion is right: replace the outer chainring with an Alligt one. The built-in guard only projects beyond the face of the ring around the teeth and, from your photos, there looks to be enough space there behind the crank arm. In the event that it didn't quite fit you could just cut away the guard behind the crank without compromising the strength at all.

I had an Alligt ring once and they are a remarkable piece of machining.
Gromit View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 4:00pm

If only it was for the track maybe but the idea was not to replace the as yet unused crankset, and certainly not for something that I would not be able to cope with the ferocious hills in my area. I'm 74 not 24. Smile

Roy

The Alligt replaces your outer chain ring, the one closest to your cranks, you'd still have your middle and inner, granny for ferocious hills, chain rings available. You would pick the Alligt chain ring with the same number of teeth as your Shimano chain set's outer chain ring and with the same BCD.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:52pm

Roy

The Alligt replaces your outer chain ring, the one closest to your cranks, you'd still have your middle and inner, granny for ferocious hills, chain rings available. You would pick the Alligt chain ring with the same number of teeth as your Shimano chain set's outer chain ring and with the same BCD.

Sorry I was misunderstanding the nature of the guard on the Alligt. I thought it was double sided and not for use with a front mech. It will probably work if it is not too thick and copes with the curve of the 105 crank OK which it looks like it will.

Thanks.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 19 April 2018 at 9:14pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:13pm
Just to add. The crankset is a Shimano 105 FC5703 10 Speed and the big ring is 50t. Alligt don't do a 50t though 52t or 49t. So no direct replacement. Is there a reason for this?

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 19 April 2018 at 9:16pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Andrew S Andrew S wrote:

Roy - I think Gromit's last suggestion is right: replace the outer chainring with an Alligt one. The built-in guard only projects beyond the face of the ring around the teeth and, from your photos, there looks to be enough space there behind the crank arm. In the event that it didn't quite fit you could just cut away the guard behind the crank without compromising the strength at all.

I had an Alligt ring once and they are a remarkable piece of machining.

Yes thanks Andrew, cutting away the guard would certainly make it fit. Wonder why there is no direct replacement 50 tooth size though.

Roy 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic