BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chain Guard for Fugin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.


Chain Guard for Fugin

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 March 2007
Location: Rye East Sussex
Status: Offline
Points: 282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by kim kim wrote:

Alternatively, there's the HPVelotechnik / Toxy style chainring guard: It's attached by a thin piece of metal that clamps between the bottom bracket and its shell, so ought to fit just about anything?

http://www.toxy-liegerad.de/Components-spares-accessories/Chain-drive/Chain-ring-cover::100244000.html


When finding one for my Baron, I tried borrowing the ICE version from my partner's trike, but there wasn't enough BB shell for it to clamp to, on account of the large-diameter boom. The HPVelotechnic one worked fine.

Thanks Kim. It looks good but I can't see how it would fit? Will it fit a triple? There is no scale to the photo so I can't see if it is big enough. I did ask Stuart for an HP Velotechnic one but the one he was trying to fit did not look anything like that one.

Roy


Edited by RoyMacdonald - 16 April 2018 at 11:03pm
Back to Top
kim View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)
Avatar

Joined: 13 April 2018
Location: Birmingham
Status: Offline
Points: 38
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

Originally posted by kim kim wrote:


http://www.toxy-liegerad.de/Components-spares-accessories/Chain-drive/Chain-ring-cover::100244000.html


Thanks Kim. It looks good but I can't see how it would fit? Will it fit a triple? There is no scale to the photo so I can't see if it is big enough. I did ask Stuart for an HP Velotechnic one but the one he was trying to fit did not look anything like that one.

Roy



I bought one of those from Toxy last summer, and the one I received didn't look like that either. It was identical to the one on my Streetmachine: a flat piece that fits between the bottom bracket and the frame (screwing the bottom bracket into place secures it), with three 'arms', and then the chainring guard itself that screws onto the arms. It fits a triple, and claims up to 53T on the big ring. (As a spinner of short cranks, I only have 50T big ring.)

Edited by kim - 17 April 2018 at 12:17pm
Back to Top
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 March 2005
Location: London Town Devine
Status: Offline
Points: 1136
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

Originally posted by kim kim wrote:

Alternatively, there's the HPVelotechnik / Toxy style chainring guard: It's attached by a thin piece of metal that clamps between the bottom bracket and its shell, so ought to fit just about anything?

http://www.toxy-liegerad.de/Components-spares-accessories/Chain-drive/Chain-ring-cover::100244000.html


When finding one for my Baron, I tried borrowing the ICE version from my partner's trike, but there wasn't enough BB shell for it to clamp to, on account of the large-diameter boom. The HPVelotechnic one worked fine.

Thanks Kim. It looks good but I can't see how it would fit? Will it fit a triple? There is no scale to the photo so I can't see if it is big enough. I did ask Stuart for an HP Velotechnic one but the one he was trying to fit did not look anything like that one.

Roy

i've used an older version, which appears identical except it has three arms instead of two, on various triples without a problem.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Back to Top
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 March 2007
Location: Rye East Sussex
Status: Offline
Points: 282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by kim kim wrote:

Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

Originally posted by kim kim wrote:


http://www.toxy-liegerad.de/Components-spares-accessories/Chain-drive/Chain-ring-cover::100244000.html


Thanks Kim. It looks good but I can't see how it would fit? Will it fit a triple? There is no scale to the photo so I can't see if it is big enough. I did ask Stuart for an HP Velotechnic one but the one he was trying to fit did not look anything like that one.

Roy



I bought one of those from Toxy last summer, and the one I received didn't look like that either. It was identical to the one on my Streetmachine: a flat piece that fits between the bottom bracket and the frame (screwing the bottom bracket into place secures it), with three 'arms', and then the chainring guard itself that screws onto the arms. It fits a triple, and claims up to 53T on the big ring. (As a spinner of short cranks, I only have 50T big ring.)

The screwing the bottom bracket to hold it could be a problem. Stuart says they have never seen a bottom bracket like mine before. He said it pushes into place? I'll go and photograph it after lunch and see if I can see what he means.

Roy
Back to Top
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 March 2007
Location: Rye East Sussex
Status: Offline
Points: 282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 9:41pm
Back to Top
LWaB View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)
Avatar

Joined: 13 August 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 9:56pm
Could you carve up a sheet of Al and mount it off the inside of your granny ring with longer bolts and spacers?
Back to Top
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 March 2007
Location: Rye East Sussex
Status: Offline
Points: 282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by LWaB LWaB wrote:

Could you carve up a sheet of Al and mount it off the inside of your granny ring with longer bolts and spacers?

The granny ring rotates though so it can't go over the big ring without fouling? Or am I misunderstanding? It can rotate with the big ring but there is not room to fit it in because the crank is so close to it.

Roy
Back to Top
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 March 2007
Location: Rye East Sussex
Status: Offline
Points: 282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by leggs_larry leggs_larry wrote:


I've used an older version, which appears identical except it has three arms instead of two, on various triples without a problem.

Thanks Dave. There seems to be sod all to mount a conventional guard to. Looks like it may have to be a custom job.

Roy


Edited by RoyMacdonald - 17 April 2018 at 10:30pm
Back to Top
Gromit View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)
Avatar

Joined: 07 June 2009
Location: East Anglia, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 57
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 8:31am
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

Originally posted by leggs_larry leggs_larry wrote:


I've used an older version, which appears identical except it has three arms instead of two, on various triples without a problem.

Thanks Dave. There seems to be sod all to mount a conventional guard to. Looks like it may have to be a custom job.

Roy

The ICE Trikes Chain Ring Guard has a two part clamp so it might be possible to pack it out or file it to fit the Fujin?

Go to this link on ICE's web site then click on the "DOWNLOADS" tab for the instruction sheet with diagrams of the mount.


Edited by Gromit - 18 April 2018 at 12:06pm
Back to Top
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member
Avatar

Joined: 09 March 2007
Location: Rye East Sussex
Status: Offline
Points: 282
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Gromit Gromit wrote:


The ICE Trikes Chain Ring Guard has a two part clamp so it might be possible to pack it out or file it to fit the Fujin?

Go to this link on ICE's web site then click on the "DOWNLOADS" tab for the instruction sheet with diagrams of the mount.

Thanks Steve, but I've measured my ICE trike BB and the Fugin BB and the Fugin starts off bigger and then adds more because of the thickness of the carbon fiber housing as opposed to the aluminium? boom housing of the trike, meaning the Fugin ends up with about a18 mm greater diameter. Looking at the ICE drawing there is nowhere near enough meat on the clamp to cope with that amount of filing. Also to be more awkward if you look at the photo, the curve and the fact the small ring overlaps the BB housing means there is no flat area that side. If it was big enough I could have mounted it on the other side and made an extension across the chain rings.

Roy


Edited by RoyMacdonald - 18 April 2018 at 7:06pm
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.02
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.