BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Carbon disk wheel DIY, pancake wheels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 10:13pm
I started wondering about the flat land weather conditions in the Netherlands and wondered if that was the reason that lead to the development of the Quatrovelo. I did a search to find out what it was like in a crosswind and found this test drive write up.
"The testdrive was really eyeopening. unbelievable stable when I compare it to all the velomobiles I cycled before. Not nervous in straight line, especially at higher speeds (up to 61 km/h at flat road)and windy conditions. One thing I really don't like about the DF, Mango and Strada, especially with sidewind they are to nervous. During my testdrive I did not feel wind at all. 30 minutes later I was cycling home in my Quest and really discovered how stable the QV is!! and I'm still talking about straight line stability. Cornering is just totally another level. In my opinion a little bit to soft(I prefer stiff springs like I have at my Quest), but lifting a wheel is almost impossible. really impressive"
All the best.

Roy

Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by runcyclexcski runcyclexcski wrote:

Ian -- regarding the 2x improvement, it could be defined, e.g.

2x higher wind speed that causes critical yaw angle A.

But since it's all non-linear, different definitions will be associated with different experiences.

In the vehicles I showed only one wheel was steering -- the front one. That is KISS, compared to 2 front wheels steering. How efficient that steering is -- that' different, don't know. The Pulse rocks from one side to the other, so it works, I guess.

Not sure yet, but if the ellipse is squashed up=down, there are no outriggers needed, the side wheels get buried under the wider portion of the ellipse.

AS I've said before though, what is the baseline that you are trying to double? tipping point? or movement across the road, or "critical yaw" whatever that is?

The steering on a velomobile is very simple, you may be able to make it more simple by having a single front wheel, but i still maintain you will need 4 wheel suspension to cope with camber, raised manholes, general lumps dips and hollows, if not i foresee the drive wheel being left high and dry in a lot of conditions.

You say no outriggers, how wide is the body at it's widest? will the person trying to get in and out have to step on the body to get in and out? that will need re-enforcing.

I see this as a very cumbersome and heavy design, for what? to be able to ride an extra X-days a year, which was another question I asked and you haven't answered, how many days a year extra a year are you envisaging this design will work over?

Ian
Ian, retired.
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

I started wondering about the flat land weather conditions in the Netherlands and wondered if that was the reason that lead to the development of the Quatrovelo. I did a search to find out what it was like in a crosswind and found this test drive write up.
"The testdrive was really eyeopening. unbelievable stable when I compare it to all the velomobiles I cycled before. Not nervous in straight line, especially at higher speeds (up to 61 km/h at flat road)and windy conditions. One thing I really don't like about the DF, Mango and Strada, especially with sidewind they are to nervous. During my testdrive I did not feel wind at all. 30 minutes later I was cycling home in my Quest and really discovered how stable the QV is!! and I'm still talking about straight line stability. Cornering is just totally another level. In my opinion a little bit to soft(I prefer stiff springs like I have at my Quest), but lifting a wheel is almost impossible. really impressive"
All the best.

Roy

Fully agree Roy, you can't really get more stable than 4 wheels one in each extreme corner.

Ian
Ian, retired.
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Yanto Yanto wrote:

Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

All the best.

Roy

Fully agree Roy, you can't really get more stable than 4 wheels one in each extreme corner, although the Df can be had with a "softer" steering input which makes it less twitchy, but really comparing the Df with the Quattrovelo isn't as staright forward as one is designed as a race machine with a capability to tour and one is a touring machine with a capability to race.

Ian
Ian, retired.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic