BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

BM final test venue around London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BM final test venue around London
    Posted: 18 August 2019 at 5:38pm
Hi all,
Anyone know of a venue around London/ Kent/ Essex etc where LSBU might do a final test before we go off to Nevada soon?
We did a test at Elvington (York) in July which went fairly well, then another in Early August which was a disaster, the third wheel kept failing. We could do with a final venue , ideally half a mile or more with a good few hrs ideally.
Is Hillingdon available to book on Sun or Mon (bank holiday)
Thanks in advance for any help
Russ
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 1:33am
I've no idea what availability is like but North Weald airfield might be a possibility.  Next to the M11 between That London and Harlow.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 6:50am
Thanks, will check it out. I think we’ve got Sywell sorted (not London but closer than York) for next Monday prior to shipping on weds. We’ll just have to dodge the odd Spitfire...
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 9:31pm
Back in the day Herne Hill Velodrome was very obliging and let me train free of charge every day but the team has changed now. I dropped in and they seemed a nice bunch but I don't know if they are as recumbent friendly as the old team. London Recumbents still have regular outings there so they might be worth an ask.

Roy

ChrisH View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 4:57pm
Russ

Hillingdon bookings can now be made online via their webpage

https://hillingdoncyclecircuit.org.uk/

which also shows current bookings

At present its available sat 5pm onwards and all day Sun (an exclusive track booking slot (am/pm/eve) costs £75 
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2019 at 9:52am
Thanks Chris, discussing it with the team now...
Thanks Roy, the other rider Noah works part time at Herne Hill but we think it's a bit tight and tricky for learning on...
Russ

Edited by russellbridge - 23 August 2019 at 9:53am
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2019 at 1:53pm
Are you talking about the Soup Dragon Russ? It strikes me as more Velodrome than road circuit if you are. 

If I can get my pre stroke bike balance back I'm planning to use Betteshanger for practice with the Great White. But the Great White is designed to be a road circuit racer.

Good luck.

Roy  
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2019 at 5:30pm
Thanks Chris, Hillingdon booked all day this Sunday for testing. Anyone welcome to help/nosey/ point and laugh.- there’s a high likelihood you’ll get roped in to help / mechanic / film / gofer etc
Russ

Yes Soup dragon, well just be using the long straight at Hillingdon

Edited by russellbridge - 23 August 2019 at 5:31pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2019 at 6:09pm
I don't think the "long straight" will seem that long in the Soup Dragon. The lack of a front brake may be an issue as well. I know the Soup Dragon is light but it will be over 50mph by the time you are near the bottom of the hill if the Wasp is anything to go by.

All the best.

Roy
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2019 at 8:43pm
It’s more to test landing gear. It failed miserably at Elvington last time, deciding to autoretract itself at every possible opportunity...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic