BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

BIG chainrings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 5:32pm
As Barney says, the way most people get to know and understand what gear inches are is by trial and experimentation.  Looking at your favourite bikes and gears that you actually spend time in is a good method.  Sheldon't Gain Ratio as he calls it is an additional factor relating to crank length, so if you're comparing a 170mm crank road bike with a 150mm crank recumbent, all other things being equal means that the gearing is 170/150 higher on the recumbent.  Aerodynamics of course may affect your consideration of what the gear range should be, but don't go overboard.
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 5:48pm
I'm just replicating what is already on Wobbly Bob (80t). I'm hoping to stick a boom and BB in rather than the fragile Z cranks that are too easy to bend, I want to be able to mash it from the line, this will mean I can "grrrrrrr" like Barney then!

On rooting around in the shed I might have stumbled across something which might mean not having to purchase a new ring after all.
Wyndrake View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyndrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 10:40pm
So Yanto, you've got nuclear mice in your shed too ....Big smile
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 11:12pm
shush, the technical inspector might be reading!

Edited by Yanto - 25 November 2013 at 11:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic