BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

BATTLE MOUNTAIN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 6:25am
Windier than previously thought possible for the first part of Tuesday evening's session with only a handful of riders electing to run.  Fabien Canal in Altaïr 6 the quickest at a fraction under 100 km/h.

Wind dropped to "legal" for all machines in the third heat.  Andrea Gallo's 82.80 mph puts him fourth on the all-time list behind Todd Reichert, Sebastiaan Bowier and (just) Sam Whittingham and makes him the seventh rider to crack 80.  And it's Tuesday.  Lieke de Cock's 74.21 is still a little way off the women's record, but the Delft/Amsterdam team are getting closer.  Ellen van Vugt's 70.64 wasn't quite a personal best, but Ishtey Amminger's 60.94 in CO2 is a new world record for Junior Men's Multitrack.  Calvin Moes let the side down with only 75.32 in Eta Prime.

This is more like it.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 6:01pm
Hi Dave. Is anyone using a VR headset to pilot their camera bike? I was watching Battle of Britain Model Squadron on BBC2 on Sunday and was very impressed. These guys were flying planes at 100 mph using Fat Shark VR setups. There are lots of videos on line. My photos obviously lose detail in the process of uploading them the actual footage is almost as good as reality. I could easily use VR to ride a bike. (hours of misspent time playing 3D games.) You can move your head as if you were looking out of a windscreen.
VR Headset
Camera

Views
Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 12 September 2018 at 6:05pm
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 6:12pm
Interesting idea Roy. Two issues I can see is it would be catastrophic if the system failed (BM bikes usually have a back up screen) and it might be a bit sweaty?
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 7:02pm
Reading up on it the most common issue that happens is that over powerful transmitters cause signal bleed from one system to another, so the model flying clubs have limits on the transmitter power systems. On a camera bike the transmitters could be the lowest one available or directly wired. 

It would be possible to have two camera systems and switch from one to another in case of failure. The bit that couldn't be easily changed is the VR headset but I don't think that is a component with a high failure rate if any. Easy enough to run it for a while off the bike to ensure it was reliable as well. It's also possible to have a regular screen set up running all the while as well and whip the headset off if it did fail.

Quality of vision is probably the most important issue when it comes to controlling the bike. Russell would have been able to see the bends at Rockingham if he could have turned his head and looked with the camera.

As for sweat, thats the nature of a faired bike but as long as it doesn't run into your eyes it shouldn't be an issue.

Roy
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 8:50pm
Do the riders actually have time to get a sweat up? 
Ian, racing again No 6.
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Yanto Yanto wrote:

Yes.  Yes, they do Tongue  The faster machines take about five minutes to get from the start to the measured 200m.

Apropos the VR headsets, the rules require two completely independent systems so it wouldn't be easy to switch to a spare headset halfway down the course.

This morning's news:

Flat calm for the short course runs this morning; Karen Darke got a legal run in and duly smashed the Women's Arms-Only world record with 41.86 mph.  An increase of 17 mph over the previous record.

Wind mostly pants by the time we shifted to the five-mile course.  Matthias is now starting to get the hang of it, though, and did 73.28 when the wind temporarily dropped, the jammy git.  From the second heat, Eta Prime and Altaïr 6 both pulled up on the course before being blown over; Ken Talbot in ARION 4 was having to steer into the wind so much that he blew his front tyre from it rubbing on edge of the wheel cutout.  Heat 3 was cancelled.

Soup Dragon update: collected - with some pretty ugly heavy damage - from Reno this morning and currently on its way up I-80.  Master fettlers Steve Nash and George Leone have been roped in to help fix it and Russ hopes to qualify it tomorrow morning.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 9:01pm
Good news: we have the bike
Bad news: it's damaged

Barney and Jo are driving it back from Reno now so we don't know the full extent of the damage yet.

However, we've very kindly been offered help by the amazing people out here, in particular Steve Nash, George Leone and Barkley (sp?) Henry. Glen is currently formulating a plan for repair based upon the photos. If we can get it fixed this afternoon, I then need to test ride it (hopefully with the lid on), then we need to get it tech inspected, then I need to qualify (min 45mph) on the 2.5mile course tomorrow at 8am. Cue A-team music...

3 photos below. It looks bad, but not giving up yet.

Edit: post overlap with Dave, obvs his t'internet is faster than my t'internet.

ps I did another 2.5mile run in the Milan velo this morning and got a wind-legal 55.4mph, which gets me a shiny new hat. I've offered my place in the evening 5-mile run to Ken on the Liverpool hand cycle team as they're close to breaking a record and I'm just arsing about in a borrowed velo...

Edited by russellbridge - 12 September 2018 at 9:09pm
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 10:53pm
55.4MPH in a Milan sounds pretty good to me!

How the hell did they manage to do that to the Soup Dragon???
Morons. Angry

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by legs_larry legs_larry wrote:

Originally posted by Yanto Yanto wrote:

Yes.  Yes, they do Tongue  The faster machines take about five minutes to get from the start to the measured 200m.

Apropos the VR headsets, the rules require two completely independent systems so it wouldn't be easy to switch to a spare headset halfway down the course.

Soup Dragon update: collected - with some pretty ugly heavy damage - from Reno this morning and currently on its way up I-80.  Master fettlers Steve Nash and George Leone have been roped in to help fix it and Russ hopes to qualify it tomorrow morning.

Good that the Soup Dragon has turned up so not a total remake!

I thought a standard system run alongside the VR one would be OK? So just pull the VR headset off and look at the standard monitor. Seeing those guys flying at 100 mph makes me think a crash would be less likely with the VR System. Only one way to find out.Wink

Lets hope the Soup Dragon is more fixable than it looks.

All the best.

Roy
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2018 at 12:09am
Sad to see the Soup Dragon in that state Russ - hope you get it fixed in time.

I'm sure there are guys there with lots of experience of fixing things like this, but in my experience, what you need to do is firstly get the bits as close as possible to the original shape - use gaffa tape, hot glue gun and splints, screws, whatever it takes, all on the outside, but it will save you time (and weight!) later the closer you get to the desired shape. Then key up and fibreglass over the inside surface - use polyester - it's quicker and less fickle. If you are skilful with the amount of catalyst then you can get it to cure in an hour without overheating/distorting. Now, remove the external support and cut back the original glass-fibre, grinding deep into the cracks and leaving nothing protruding from the desired form - better to grind off too much than too little and remove anything loose. An angle grinder with an abrasive wheel is quickest but makes a hell of a mess and wear a good P3 mask! Now fill with Bondo (as they say in the USA). Don't be tempted to put too much on at once - it takes a long time to take off again. Initially use a coarse Al oxide paper - maybe 40 grit (or even a Surform or, my favourite, a dreadnought file) as this will shape the filler, rather than just smoothing the surface of the irregularities. Back the abrasive paper with something fairly firm, not soft foam or it won't take off the high spots - you are shaping at this stage, not smoothing! Once you have the shape, you can get a smooth surface in the time remaining. A high-build spray filler works well at this stage. Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by GeoffBird - 13 September 2018 at 12:32am
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic