BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2021 Round 12: Hillingdon, Sunday 17th October

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:14pm
Mark is leaning forward in the picture and sits further forward on the machine so that may explain it - Andrew? Kim? Any ideas??

Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 7:23pm
It looks like I probably read the wrong rows on Sunday, as it shows Paul Homewood was about 2 seconds ahead of Adam Robinson on the Streetmachine.

Looking in CrossMgr, the recorded race times are 35:13.62 for Mark Howard and 35:13.64 for Paul Homewood.  Don't read *anything* into that degree of precision - the RFID system is only accurate to within a second or so (it has to speak to each tag within range sequentially, so it can't ever make a true instantaneous snapshot; it does its best to extrapolate the time the tag was closest to the aerial by doing quadratic regression over a number of reads, but is still subject to the vagaries of radio), but that explains why it's ranked you in that order.

Given the photographic evidence, I'll jibble the finish time by half a second to reflect the true finish order.

(Hopefully next year we'll have a shiny new timing laptop which will have enough grunt to support a camera to automagically capture photos of riders as they cross the line.  The software has the feature for exactly this reason, but our crusty old laptop hasn't been up to using it.)

ETA: I've updated the results to reflect this and the class changes mentioned above.

Edited by Kim - 19 October 2021 at 8:12pm
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 8:05pm
Many thanks Kim!

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2021 at 10:03pm
Looks like we’re on Saturdays GCN show: 30:50 ish in this video for the teaser:
https://youtu.be/vRUnKqO4jUc
NigelSlee View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NigelSlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 5:13pm
Thanks Kim et al for taking care of all the tech stuff for the races. Amazing to be able to look at the results so soon after the event.

@Kim - hope you don't mind but I posted this clip of you and the Red Baron on TikTok today ;)

Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by NigelSlee NigelSlee wrote:

Thanks Kim et al for taking care of all the tech stuff for the races. Amazing to be able to look at the results so soon after the event.

One of the advantages of the new scoring software is that once you've sorted out any class changes it's actually quite quick (in a sit and watch the jam-filled Babbage engine thrash disk for a nail-biting 30 seconds kind of way) to generate the points tables, assuming the merge-o-matic doesn't crash with an unhelpful error message like it did last year.  [I blame the author - Ed]

The unpredictable factor, and the thing that can be really time-consuming, is correcting the lap times:  The computer doesn't know the difference between a missed tag read (which do happen occasionally, usually due to some combination of worn-out tags, carbon fibre, tall people on upright cycles, rain and bad luck) and a much longer than usual lap.  By default it will interpolate to try to keep people's lap times consistent, which solves the missed read problem, but means we have to investigate each instance to check whether a rider actually stopped to put a chain back on or something so they don't get credited with extra laps.  A major source of chaos is when riders stop for a bit within range of the aerials or DNF but don't tell us, causing spurious lap times to be recorded.  (And until a couple of years ago, the timing software didn't know who was in which race, and would record times for people in the other group, which then needed to be manually set to DNS.  Now we can sort all that out in advance, which means less to do on the day.)

And then there's when things really go wrong, like when a rider's tags don't register at all, or if something goes wrong with the computer or RFID system during the race.

All this sort of stuff is easier to deal with if you're paying attention and can investigate (or dispatch a minion to investigate) and correct the data during the race.  Otherwise you have to sort it out afterwards, which means either faffing about trackside and holding up the next event, or dealing with it at home with the aid of a readable screen and no time pressure, but fewer people to hand who might know what happened.  Obviously the latter isn't an option when you need to work out who won the championships in time to award the trophies.

...Which is why I was at the front of the slow race rather than my rightful place in the bottom half of the fast race.  Meant that Andrew and I could take turns keeping an eye on the computer, and it wasn't all done in a rush during the AGM.  We also got lucky with relatively clean data.  A couple of short stoppages and one rider with consistently dodgy tag reads (I think because their tags were on a helmet, inside a borrowed velomobile).

Edited by Kim - 21 October 2021 at 10:02pm
NigelSlee View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NigelSlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:44pm
Hi - I've uploaded an album of pics from Sunday fast races (mainly second one) to a Google album. Free free to download any copies you want. Cheers 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic