BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2021 Round 1: Hillingdon, Sunday 16th May

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:52pm
Results are up at the usual places.

Direct links:

I'm really pleased with how smoothly everything ran today.  It's not usual for the BHPC to start races early!  Flawless performance from the RFID tag system, with no missed reads and one phantom[1] read.  I've found an exciting new bug in the scoring software, so had to revert to an old version to generate the points table.  I've reported it to the developers, so hopefully that'll be fixed by the next race.

I'm also pleased that the race clock survived the journey and worked as intended.  If something's worth doing, it's worth over-engineering properly.  Many thanks to Liam for keeping things rubber-side-down and not crashing into it (or for that matter the flag-wavers, or the tent full of - and I use the term loosely - perfectly good computers).

Also thanks to Aeryn for giving me some decent competition in the Women's class, and to the weather, for not being up to Stourport standards.  I have low hopes for Preston in that regard.

Looking at Strava it turns out that the tailbox makes me ...marginally slower than in 2019.  Which is probably down to a combination of  a) not sucking John Lucian's wheel for half the race  b) poor engine performance after a generally exhausting week.

[1] Dave Minter came to me for replacement tags, and I forgot that he was on the list of people who'd requested them in advance.  Which meant there were some duplicates lurking in the envelope of uncollected tags that got picked up by the timing system and briefly caused him to set a new lap record.
LWaB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:07pm
My only chance of a lap record gone forever...

Geoff Booker on a Trykit upright trike is shown as DNS but started both slow races and in fact spanked me in both, so I should be bumped down the various leagues a bit.
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:13pm
Many thanks Kim!! You did a wonderful job as always!!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:19pm
I can confirm that Geoff was definitely in both of the slower races. He finished ahead of me and Bruvver Dave in race one and behind me in race 2.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:40pm
Just noticed Tim MacDonald should be included in the car-free class as he rode to Hillingdon…

Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:43pm
Arse.  So much for flawless RFID performance.  He didn't ask for new tags, so presumably he was using old ones that were completely unreadable (possibly the same obsolete tags broken by the new reader firmware issue that we encountered with Lee and Slash at Darley Moor?).  We probably need to be more thorough with checking who's actually on the start line, and writing it down and stuff.

So he was 2nd in the first race and 5th in the second?  I'll fudge the numbers to sort the points out accordingly tomorrow.

And Tim's class change.

Any more quibbles?

Edited by Kim - 16 May 2021 at 11:44pm
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:43am
Are Jochens points correct for the 2nd race? He finished 10th due to his visit from the puncture fairy with a few laps to go, but has been awarded points for 7th.
tincanracer View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tincanracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:25am

Thanks for organising Kim, totally seamless process for a “punter” like me.

One unintended consequence of the self-booking system is that the street and sports classes have been dominated by lowracers with tail boxes. I thought the intention of the street class (I don’t quite know the difference with the sport class) was that people who did not have dedicated race bikes could have a chance of doing well in a class. In 2018 I came 3rd on a Moulton and last year my son and I came 3rd and 5th respectively on bikes we use on the road. I think that lowracers should be competing in the open, unfaired and partly faired classes, otherwise there is no class for those of us racing on a budget. John Lucian came in 5th and he usually wins. The class was originally “self-policing” and this was sorted out at the old manual sign on. Should these bikes be excluded from the street class, what do other members think?

Stuart

Laid Back in Spirit
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:50am
The classes are as they are defined on http://www.bhpc.org.uk/how-to-race-with-bhpc.aspx, which permit lowracers  and highracers with tailboxes (and front fairings, for street).  The objective is supposedly to encourage development of road-going aerodynamic recumbent bicycles.  Changing them (I'd be in favour of disbanding Sports entirely, and making street less complicated, or perhaps replacing it with some sort of 'touring' class that could include trikes) would require going through an AGM.

Ultimately, unless we do bike inspections, the problem also comes down to self-definition:  An awful lot of machines are eligible for Street and Sports, but don't get declared as such at sign-on because the rider doesn't read or understand the rules, and I'm sure many newcomers err on the side of caution so as not to get into trouble.  I'm not sure how to improve that, other than by making the class definition trivially simple such as "Is it legal to ride on the road?", which wouldn't solve the problem (velomobiles are legal to ride on the road).  The Carfree class has similar problems, as the only reasonable way of determining how people are arriving is to ask them, and it's hard to word the question in a way that stops people assuming it's about car parking.

To clarify, the sign-on process is as manual as it ever was (replacing it would be a non-trivial software problem, and we've been concentrating on higher priorities) but as we're doing it onlne we only have what people tell us to go by.  Andrew did a brilliant job of abusing the web shop's limited forms capability to provide a newbie-friendly "20 questions" style way of determining people's class, rather than simply getting them to select the relevant classes.  A fair bit of educated guesswork already has to go into correcting mistakes people make on the form, and my concern is that if we tried to automate it it would be a disaster.

Edited by Kim - 17 May 2021 at 12:15pm
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by russellbridge russellbridge wrote:

Are Jochens points correct for the 2nd race? He finished 10th due to his visit from the puncture fairy with a few laps to go, but has been awarded points for 7th.

Yeah, there's something fishy going on there (I suspect I loaded the pre-corrections version of the results when I switched to a different machine because of the SeriesMgr bug).  I'll look into it.  He should be marked as DNF really, anyway.

Edited by Kim - 17 May 2021 at 12:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic