BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2018 Round 8: York Sport Village, Sunday 24th June
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2018 Round 8: York Sport Village, Sunday 24th June

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 9:49am
From Dave Overton on Facebook:

"I appear to have not been counted in the York event, possible chip issue.
I came in a snip in front of the black Bob Jackson trike. "

kim View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by ChrisH ChrisH wrote:

Thanks everyone for a great days racing at York Yesterday. To Ian Squires and Jeff James for organisery, and Andrew & Heather for al the additional support with timing systems and trackside logistics. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the 50/50 split between the race track in the morn and adjacent velodrome in the afternoon (as well as scheduling it on the same weekend as the York Cycle Rally). I'm interested to hear any feedback (either post here or PM me).

I reckon racing on the Sunday of the Rally weekend was an excellent idea. Most of the organised rally stuff happens on the Saturday, so it means we can do both without missing out (I've combined the rally with a FNRttC and done the rally audax ride in previous years, and found I've missed most of the rally as a result), and it can simplify travel plans.

It also means that there are a sufficiency of right-minded people around who might like to come and watch the "rushing about on unusually shaped bikes".

I liked the split between track and velodrome - I enjoyed the track more, but it would be a shame not to make use of both. My only complaint was the lack of shade at the velodrome (I forget who suggested we should get points for just sitting on our cycles in the sun for 20 minutes, but presumably there would be different sun-trial categories for how enclosed or fly-attracting yellow your machine was).

Anyway, apart from my lungs I enjoyed it, many thanks to all involved. Particularly Jeff for giving me a wheel to cling onto for most of the first race.

Edited by kim - 26 June 2018 at 11:50am
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by ChrisH ChrisH wrote:

Thanks everyone for a great days racing at York Yesterday. To Ian Squires and Jeff James for organisery, and Andrew & Heather for al the additional support with timing systems and trackside logistics. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the 50/50 split between the race track in the morn and adjacent velodrome in the afternoon (as well as scheduling it on the same weekend as the York Cycle Rally). I'm interested to hear any feedback (either post here or PM me).

I did have an issue signing on even though I got to the track at 8:50 am. There was only Mike B and myself  there so I unpacked and went and parked my car but I didn't see any sign of a sign on set up when I got back. Was I having a senior moment? I just did not hear a call to sign on. Could we give Alice a Klaxon or something? My hearing is not what it was and I'm always easily distracted.

I really enjoyed the days racing and particularly the velodrome, because the split of racers into 3 smaller groups made it very safe. Special thanks to whoever decided that. 50/50 seemed good to me. Yes it's a nuisance having to move all the stuff from the circuit to the velodrome but not that big a deal. I might not be saying that if it had been raining of course as there is no cover at either circuit, but that's always the chance you take. I take it the velodrome is rideable in the rain? Then again if it had been raining it might have kept the flies away.Big smile Thanks to Ian,Jeff Heather,Andrew and the timing system which knew myself and my swarm were there even if no one else did.LOL

And thanks Jeff for the photos and video.Thumbs Up

All the best.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 26 June 2018 at 12:19pm
HeatherF View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:47pm
I'm sorry you had trouble registering. I think the best advice we can offer is that, since we will definitely be signing people on, - it is a race after all - then if you haven't signed on and time is pressing you could maybe ask someone who is obviously organising, or in fact anyone else,  where it is you have to go. We don't usually have time to chase people up although we do usually get someone with a loud voice to shout when we are closing sign on.
kim View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

I did have an issue signing on even though I got to the track at 8:50 am. There was only Mike B and myself  there so I unpacked and went and parked my car but I didn't see any sign of a sign on set up when I got back. Was I having a senior moment? I just did not hear a call to sign on.

I also fell foul of that. I turned up somewhat later, having had navigational issues finding my way, and various people were milling around while organiser types were obviously busy with setting up the timing equipment etc. In my ignorance I waited until they'd finished what they were doing before asking, at which point I found out that the sign-on had been in the portacabin thing the whole time.

Lesson for next time, I suppose.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by kim kim wrote:

Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

I did have an issue signing on even though I got to the track at 8:50 am. There was only Mike B and myself  there so I unpacked and went and parked my car but I didn't see any sign of a sign on set up when I got back. Was I having a senior moment? I just did not hear a call to sign on.

I also fell foul of that. I turned up somewhat later, having had navigational issues finding my way, and various people were milling around while organiser types were obviously busy with setting up the timing equipment etc. In my ignorance I waited until they'd finished what they were doing before asking, at which point I found out that the sign-on had been in the portacabin thing the whole time.

Lesson for next time, I suppose.

Thank's Kim. That accounts for it. I never went in to the Portacabin at all. I thought it was just the caretakers office.

Roy
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by HeatherF HeatherF wrote:

I'm sorry you had trouble registering. I think the best advice we can offer is that, since we will definitely be signing people on, - it is a race after all - then if you haven't signed on and time is pressing you could maybe ask someone who is obviously organising, or in fact anyone else,  where it is you have to go. We don't usually have time to chase people up although we do usually get someone with a loud voice to shout when we are closing sign on.

I did ask Heather, and was told sign on wasn't arranged yet as that is the first thing I do while I have my trousers on with some money. So I decided to get myself and the bike sorted and took it on the track. I looked before I went out,  but as I wasn't seeing any set up and I made the incorrect assumption it would be in the little green tent.  Never occured to me it was in the Portacabin I'm afraid. Then I was distracted until I was called for racing.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 26 June 2018 at 4:14pm
HeatherF View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 5:30pm
I'm sorry Roy but if you had asked me or the other organisers or indeed anyone who had already signed on, I would have told you where it was. I arrived after sign on was started.

For the future, the green tent is for the timing system and never has anything to do with sign on. Sign on is not the same as getting your tags sorted.

If there isn't a suitable building we use the back of a car. The door to the Portacabin was open from when Jeff and Ian arrived and was certainly open and doing business when I arrived at about 9.45. We advertised sign on as starting at 9.30

I'm not pursuing this for the sake of it but so that others can see the system and hopefully we will not experience the issues we had on Sunday which meant we had to shorten the races.

I guess the bottom line is, if in doubt, ask someone and if they say it isn't ready yet, ask again until it is.

Thank you

kim View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 6:42pm
I saw that the door was open, but assumed that was simply for the purpose of providing power for the timing system.

Anyway, noted for next time. Perhaps it's worth adding a paragraph about sign on and sorting tags to the "How to race with the BHPC" page on the website, for the benefit of other newbies?

Edited by kim - 26 June 2018 at 6:43pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 7:16pm
Noted Heather, especially the green tent.

The portacabin was open when I arrived before 9 am but all I saw was the caretaker coming in and out telling us what to do with our cars. Mike went in and out a few times asking questions and that was it. The organisers seemed quite busy when I saw them and the people I asked did not know at that time but I was probably asking too early I guess. Then like Kim I just thought it was the power source. I don't like feeling I'm hassling people but I will make sure I do in future Wink

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic