BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2018 Round 8: Darley Moor, Sun 11th Aug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 7:03pm
Results from the electronic timing system for the 40 minute race are now up at: http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/events/events19/08darleymoor/index.html
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 8:20pm
I think the timing system or my tag had a  meltdown on my lap 2. I know I was going slow but to take 17:27 to complete a lap is taking the Michael. I was probably behind James/Jeff/Graham.
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2019 at 8:30pm
Ah, didn't spot that one.    We had several people with spates of missed reads for some reason, and have had to do some extrapolation. Give me a few minutes to fix it...

ETA: Fixed (or at least bodged), hopefully.

Edited by kim - 11 August 2019 at 8:47pm
blogwat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 9:46am
Hi folks
here are the photos from the weekend copy any you want and thanks once again for keeping things running even in the adverse weather conditions.
cheers.
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 8:58pm
On a hunch that the timing problems at Darley Moor were due to only reading tags properly on one of the aerials (backed up by Andrew S informing me that he'd tended to pass on the right of the track - and got almost no reads - while I was passing on the left and was picked up without problems), Natalya and I have done some testing this evening...

We've reproduced the problem, which turns out to be one of extremely reduced sensitivity rather than complete non-functionality (making it difficult to spot trackside), and traced it to the long coaxial cable.

This clearly better than a fault with the RFID reader or the aerials, and IMHO preferable to failing to find a fault.

(I've just noticed that this topic has the wrong year in it.)

Edited by kim - 12 August 2019 at 9:01pm
antonin_d View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 10:04am
Thank you Kim and Natalya for the investigation! It is great to know that the issue is understood :) And thank you also for the guesswork to get the results out despite the fault :)
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 1:38pm
Well done Kim & Natalya. Impressive detective skills there. Could try and find a better quality coaxial cable I guess. Does it get ridden over?

Roy 
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

Well done Kim & Natalya. Impressive detective skills there. Could try and find a better quality coaxial cable I guess. Does it get ridden over?

Just standard troubleshooting. First try to reproduce the problem, then swap things around to see where it goes.

The interesting thing is that there appears to be a compatible tag lurking somewhere in (or within a few metres of) the front half of our house. I know the EPC, but not where it is or what it might be attached to (no, not my helmet). Didn't quite get bored enough to turn the gain down and wander around with an aerial to try to locate it... :)

And yes, the cable is the long one that gets ridden over. Which rules out most of the ready-made cables with suitable connectors on them, which tend to be the diameter of a thumb. Not sure if that's what's caused the problem or not - the cable seems fine when tested at DC with a multimeter, so my guess would be water wicking up the dielectric and wrecking its RF properties.

Andrew and I will do some digging...

Edited by kim - 13 August 2019 at 2:09pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 4:20pm
I once cut our internet off when I moved a chair in the hall and did not notice I'd put the leg on the cable. (it is one people sat on when they were making land line phone calls)

Yes water can cause a lot of weird problems for electronics. When we first moved into the farm the house electrics kept tripping for no obvious reason. Turned out to be the wire to the electric pond pump had water in it. The pump worked fine though. Just kept tripping the circuit breaker at random intervals!

I'll be back on the track probably in October. (I'm going to Scotland in September unfortunately) Not sure if I'll be on a bike in my latest Strava photos though.

All the best.
Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 13 August 2019 at 4:22pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 4:35pm
I'm just wondering if the cable can be suspended above the riders? It wouldn't have to be raised very high, even the upwrongs don't need that much clearance. It's a thought.

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic