BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2017 Round 7: Sun 2nd Jul

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 8:23am
Hi folks
here finaly are the photo's from Shrewsbury, had to install crome browser before I could upload any to Flikr, mainly photo's of the first race as I was in the next fast race and we were all in it together for the one hour race good day thanks to everyone who made it so and here goes copy any you want 
cheers,

Edited by blogwat - 04 July 2017 at 8:30am
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
tincanracer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tincanracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:12am
Hi Andrew,

I looked at the average speed on my bike computer straight after the end of the race and it was 15.1 mph. I have just looked at the elapsed distance and it says 16.7 miles, but this includes pushing it to the car park after the race. How far round is a lap of Shrewsbury? I have checked the computer against my Garmin GPS and it is about 1.5% optimistic.

Do you think this problem was caused by me having tags on the bike, which have worked in the past, and the new set you gave me on Sunday on my crash helmet?

Stuart
Laid Back in Spirit
tincanracer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tincanracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:14am
Sorry, forgot to say that the comments in my last post refer to the second race. Dennis timed the first one and his data agrees with the published result. He ate too many pasties and fell asleep during the second race!

Stuart
Laid Back in Spirit
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 1:30pm
So who won it?? Two successive frames from the end of the 1st 20-min race at Shrewsbury:

GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 1:51pm
Looks like a dead heat to me as far as you can tell from these photos. The upright trike looks slightly ahead in the second frame, so was probably travelling faster, but they've crossed the line by then. In the first photo, the recumbent looks slightly ahead.

Edited by GeoffBird - 04 July 2017 at 1:58pm
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 7:37pm

Raises an interesting question.... What has to cross the line?

Any part of the bike or a wheel??
It it's a wheel then the upwrong has it.

GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 8:33pm
Also, remember the recumbent rider's most forward foot is rotating backwards, away from the line.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
ChrisH View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 9:10pm
In upright riding its the front wheel, which is also the foremost piece of the machine, so would make sense to apply the same "foremost piece of the vehicle rule to recumbents". Having said that, its difficult (if not impossible to make a judgement call base on the photo finish).

For future reference perhaps we could base the photo finish order on the one whose lowermost derailleur jockey wheel crosses the line first??

This would benefit front wheel drive raptos, whilst the rolholfs and fixies could never officially finish a race. However for a sprint finish between derailleured rear-wheel machines it could add an additional tier of tactics. For example, racing for the line on a smaller rear sprocket (e.g. 15 tooth) would offer scope for extra speed for your cadence, whilst the risk of spinning out on a  larger (e.g 16 tooth) rear sprocket would have to be balanced against it also nudging that lower jockey wheel a few millimetres further forward which could make all the difference on the line.

Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 9:06pm
The final results for Shrewsbury are now available on the BHPC website along with the updated Championship Tables.

A full set of e-timing results is also available for those with plenty of time on their hands.

I've called the first 20-min race a dead heat between Richard Everett and Ian Pike, hence they get equal points. I predict a sudden rush of front-wheel drive bikes next season if Chris's jockey-wheel proposal is adopted.
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by tincanracer tincanracer wrote:

I looked at the average speed on my bike computer straight after the end of the race and it was 15.1 mph. ... How far round is a lap of Shrewsbury? I have checked the computer against my Garmin GPS and it is about 1.5% optimistic.

Do you think this problem was caused by me having tags on the bike, which have worked in the past, and the new set you gave me on Sunday on my crash helmet?
Stuart - Adding 1 lap to your result for the 1-hour race makes your average speed 15.1 mph, based on a lap length of 0.6215 miles (the distance used by the race software), so we'll say that's right.

The GPX plot of the circuit, used by the timing system, makes it 0.62 miles and my Garmin made it 0.619 miles. Pick a distance, any distance.

I've no idea what the problem was with your tags. Next time you're at a race I'll remove all the existing ones, make some new ones and check they read OK.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic